Poll: How do you pronounce it? (Clevis)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I often hear people pronounce clevis with the e sounding like a “long e” (eee). Dictionary.com pronounces it with a “short e” like “eh” or like the e in Elvis.

I’m curious about what is the popular pronunciation. How do you say it?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Long e. The general rule of English pronunciation is that when a vowel is followed by a single consonant followed by a vowel, the first vowel is long. Conversely, a vowel followed by two consonants is short. Exceptions exist, of course, as this is English, after all! Perhaps if clevis was someone's name, and they pronounced it with a short e, that might persist.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I think I actually pronounce it with a short e, regardless of my reply above. :)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Examples:
dining/dinning
diner/dinner
riding/ridding
siting/sitting
raping/rapping
taping/tapping
coping/copping
toping/topping
assuming/summing
ludicrous/Luddite

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I use a short e just because that's how I've always heard it. I agree with jviss that the general pronunciation rules suggest it should be a long e.
Exceptions exist, of course, as this is English, after all!
Indeed. In fact an exception exists right in your sentence. :biggrin:

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Interesting thought. I've always heard and pronounced clevis with a short E, Even though our nearest town "Nevis" is pronounced with a long E.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Long e. The general rule of English pronunciation is that when a vowel is followed by a single consonant followed by a vowel, the first vowel is long. Conversely, a vowel followed by two consonants is short. Exceptions exist, of course, as this is English, after all! Perhaps if clevis was someone's name, and they pronounced it with a short e, that might persist.

Dont listen to the guy from Massachusetts, they pronounce everything funny!

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
clev·is
/ˈklevəs/ (pronounced with a short e not a long e)
noun
noun: clevis; plural noun: clevises
  1. a U-shaped or forked metal connector within which another part can be fastened by means of a bolt or pin passing through the ends of the connector.
    "a clevis pin"
Click on this link then click on the speaker symbol to hear an audio pronunciation.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0i22i30l3.0.0.1.29678...........0.yaG-pvYE8Wk

I'm just trying to be \ ˈkle-vər \!

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Funny how the English language ,changes from country to country and spelling too. In Canada we use "ee" for z zebra, We spell pay cheque, check is to check on something, color is colour. In England tires is spelt tyres.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Funny how the English language ,changes from country to country and spelling too. In Canada we use "ee" for z zebra, We spell pay cheque, check is to check on something, color is colour. In England tires is spelt tyres.
:plus:

I just hope the clevis in question is made of steel. Otherwise we need to have a whole other discussion about whether it's made of aluminum or aluminium.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Canadians don't say "zed" for "z?"

In a similar discussion several years ago someone posted that they always thought the Brits didn't know how to pronounce "aluminum"..till he discovered that they don't know how to spell it either (aluminium).
--Peggie