Polishing and replenishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
We have a couple of older Venture 25's, one white hull, and the other is a light blue, the white one is pretty rough. I have read a little about this product called Pro Polish. It is made by Yachy Brite. Has anyone used this product? Or does anyone have a product that will take off a lot of oxidation, and polish the hull? Last year we used a two step process, and it worked ok, but it only lasted through the end of the season. I know it may be a lost cause, but short of re-gelcoating we are looking to buy some time... Maybe a few years. We are willing to apply this as long as we can before the gelcoat has to be redone.

Any help would be great. We are going to clean up the boats this coming weekend, and head to Strictly Sail Boat Show on April 17 for the weekend and would like the boats to look as nice as possible.

Thanks in advance!!

Gregg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not familiar with that product. I used rubbing compound, then polish, then wax last year. The deck still doesn't last the season. I still prefer this over a cover-up like one of the poly products

Sep 6, 2007
Macgregor 25 Kalispell, MT
Hi Gregg,

I tried Polyglow last year and it worked very well. The finish is still great this spring. It is not a cover-up. The first step is to apply a cleaner call Polyprep. You apply this and use a scrubby type thing to take the oxidation and very small scratches out. I used a fine sandpaper on some of the discoloration and filled bigger scratches with gel coat repair. It will still take quite a bit of prep work as anything that is visible will show through the final coat. When I put it on last spring, the people were buffing and waxing the boat next to me. It was about the same size. When I finished all the prep and put on 4 coats of Polyglow, they were 1/2 finished with their boat. This spring I just need to do a couple of small dock dings and put on a couple more coats. I don't have any pictures handy right now. So far I am sold.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I could just be me, but anything that is just wiped on, even after the prep work to remove old residue is only a coverup. Poliglow's creator describes it as a plastic film in the video.
I've used it in the past. I still have a partial kit somewhere in the garage. It does make your gel-coat nice and shiny, I'm just a masochist. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.