Polishes/Waxes

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 25_73-83 Plymouth/Fairhaven MA
I painted my topsides with an enamel paint last year which wore well however I’d like to shine and protect it a bit. Does anyone have a non-dulling recommendation for enamel paint?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Enamel is what is typically what is painted on cars. I'd think any quality car wax would work. You could always test it on a small area before going all in.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Be careful with painted surfaces. Most waxes have a small amount of abrasives in them to help polish. Paint may not take well to the abrasives. Don't want all that hard work to go to waste. Something like Awl Care which is designed for Awlgrip.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Collinite Paste Wax, or Collinite Boat Wax, liquid. No cleaners or abrasives, just the best wax.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
does wax make the vessel slippery? i have never waxed a sailboat

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Wax can make a boat slippery. That being said I wax everything even the nonskid. I have never slipped due to it. I agree with the above advice on Collinite paste wax. I apply 2 coats on the hull in the spring and it will continue to bead water until the following spring.

Surfers wax is more like a candle. It clumps up when applied which is why its not slippery and used to grip.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
There is a product called Woody Wax that is pretty effective for non-skid. It provides resistance to dirt without adding any slip.

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
This may sound crazy, but can anyone explain to me the difference between wax & polish? I understand polish goes on before wax, but what's the difference? Also, does compound qualify as a polish? I have read MS "Tips for......., and I think I will read it again before getting started.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Compounds have large abrasive particles within, that aggressively remove heavy surface oxidation and scratches. Polishes have smaller size abrasive particles that remove minor scratches and surface irregularities as well as swirls that result from using compounds. Depending on how heavily the surface is oxidized two “grades” of polish may be necessary such as 3M finessit polish followed by Maguiar’s #9 swirl remover, that has very small sized abrasives and can be considered a glazing substance. Wax, on the other hand, has no abrasives and fills in ultra fine surface scratches as well as seals the surface to provide an ultra smooth & shiny surface & also provides a surface protectant. Good idea, read Mainesail’s procedure for restoring a boat’s finish a couple times and follow it exactly. With heavily oxidized & neglected surfaces you may have to sand with wet& dry sandpaper before you even get to the compound stage. Don’t take any shortcuts. It is an arduous task,; however, you should get a nice result.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
In addition to what BigEasy said....WAX is essentially artificial animal fat that is highly saturated to make it "hard"... so just like oil and water don't mix... one nice result is that wax is water repellent and keeps dirt and grime from settling on the surface.