PoliGlow Cleaning/Waxing

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brett

My new boat (Hunter 31) is coated with PoliGlow. I tried to wash the hull and was not able to get all the run-off trails and waterline scum off. On previous boats I have used Zing to clean the waterline and Meguires cleaner/wax or cleaner followed by wax to clean off the stains that normal washing will not remove. I went ahead and used Zing on the waterline (probably needs to be raised) and it worked quite well. It did not seem to remove the PoliGlow, although I thought it would. I decided to follow that up with the cleaner wax because I do not want to recoat with PoliGlow until I figure out how to remove all other stains from the hull. The cleaner/wax worked very well, made the surface much smoother than the cleaned PoliGlow by itself, and removed additional run-off stains and the like. Question? Would it be bad to cleaner/wax the entire hull. I would be waxing over a PoliGlow surface. Concerns are: Would buffing cut through the PoliGlow. It does not seem so? How long will the PoliGlow last under a yearly waxing and buffing? What will happen should I need to recoat with PoliGlow? I kind of like buffing and waxing my hull (kind of relaxing, like mowing the lawn) and so I am not convinced that I would like to stick with PoliGlow. My current thoughts are to just cleaner/wax it and over time the buffing of the cleaner will gradually wear down the PoliGlow until I am at gelcoat. I have found that by buffing a cleaner/wax my boats get a better shine every year and eventually require very little effort to clean/wax in following years. If this tack does not work I would likely remove the PoliGlow when I get my boat to it's home boat yard in a following year. (This year I am maintaining two boats, 1983 Cal25 for sale).

D

Dan Ulrich

Answers

I think all of your questions re: Poli Glow can be answered at the site below.

Y

Yves Langlois

Remove Poly Glow

If you want to remove Poly Glow, just use their other product called Poly Prep, it is apply with a hand spray, you let it work a minute or so and use a cleaner pad and rinse. That's all there is to it. I would not recommend waxing over poly glow. Yves S/V Opium

J

john geiger

Just used poly glow on 79 h27

I just did my h27 '79 which the gel coat is in good shape, but didn't shine. I was very satified how good the hull and especially the tramsom looked. I would recommend it for an older boat.

T

Tim Leighton

MY EXPERIENCE

Brett: I coated my extremely dull hull (1985 H31) with Poli-Glow almost 18 months ago. Followed manufactures' directions and even called them a couple of times for advice (they were very helpful). Most of the hull still looks really good. Only where I allowed my outboard to leak gas on the hull is the coating gone. I'm about to remove the current coating and slap on another. You will be amazed at how good your hull looks when you are done. I even had the boat yard cleaning ladies come over and (I'm not kidding here) beg me not to tell everyone what I used to bring the shine back on my tired gel coat. If I have any bad experiences during this second coating, I'll post them here, but I doubt I'll have any problems. Poli-Glow is the best stuff I've seen for older, chalky hulls. By the way, you don't NEED to wax over Poli-glow.....just an occasional light wash down to get off the salt water residue. Good luck! Tim (S/V "TIDE")

Status
Not open for further replies.