Pole topping lift and kicker

TWM

Oct 28, 2016
Catalina 309 Newport
We have been cruising TWM and are now entering a few casual races with some success. Currently when poling our the head sail we use the mast head halyard to lift the pole. Has anyone fitted a topping lift and kicker and how have you set these up. TWM

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sorry your query went with out a response.
This type of rigging is not limited to Catalina boats. It is a realatively simply project.
Here is an basic image outlining the parts you need to install.
The design is for a "Spinnaker Pole" which has a track on the bow side of the mast. You likely have just a hard point loop where you attache your pole. That is ok as you do not need a level spar as is needed for the spinnaker.

Here is a look at the block you will need attached to the mast above the pole to life the pole. The halyard will run down the mast to a turning block at the mast base then back to your cockpit.

If you want to get fancy you can add a "Foreguy" to pull the pole down. This also runs to the mast base and a turning block then back to the cockpit along the topping lift halyard.
You will be able to raise and lower the pole. The foresail sheets provide you forward and aft control of the sail. To gybe or tack you will need to go forward and release the pole from the sail, task the sail, reattach the pole to the sail.
Good luck. ask if there are any questions.

TWM

Oct 28, 2016
Catalina 309 Newport
Thanks jssailem for the advice and illustrations. The mast has an opening just above the steaming light which may take a topping lift line for the pole lift. A rigger has suggested making a new opening higher up the mast to avoid the topping lift getting caught on the light. Has anyone had experience with this on a 309.
As an aside our rig inspection was just completed for insurance. The rigger gave us the all clear other than to say that when the boat was first rigged (2011) the mast head stay was put through the wrong hole in the end cap of the top spreader. This did not allow the spreader to lock onto the stay and results in the end of the stay being able to move up and down on the spreader. This is being fixed to obtain a clean report. It sounds like a fairly basic mistake at the time of commissioning. Interested if others have had that experience.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Howe long is the pole? If you run a line to the midpoint of the pole (So the line is inside the forestay), I wouldn't think it should interfere with the steaming or foredeck light. If you're concerned you could have a stainless steel "hoop" but around the light so as to protect it by keeping the line from hitting it.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
6C949462-3102-4D5C-A20F-DC1EC0294670.jpeg
Our rigger had this made, we added a kicker and used spare halyard as topper for the pole
Works well..
B807F3B1-64DF-4964-9C57-4B0EA74F4189.jpeg

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Forespar recommends a bridle for a whisker pole. There is good info on rigging poles on the Forespar website.

Mar 4, 2018
Catalina 309 154 Pittwater
G'day TW. I sail a 309 (#154) on beautiful Pittwater too and have recently acquired a whisker pole that I'm looking at setting up.
If it's not an imposition I'd love to see how you're going with yours and pick your brains about any issues you ran into. I'm a new member so I'm not sure if there's a private message option on this forum but I'd appreciate any info you'd be prepared to share.

TWM

Oct 28, 2016
Catalina 309 Newport
Hi Boatlover. TWM came with a whisker pole set up in a manner similar to Pompadi's as described above. ie ring on the mast to attach the pole and using the masthead halyard as the topping lift (no kicker). Based on the information I have received to date I think I will live with this set up for now. To install a kicker will require drilling holes to run the line back to the cockpit through guides along the side of the cabin top. And running a dedicated topping lift through the mast and back to the cockpit will require relocating one of the existing halyards and tying it off at the mast. All possibilities down the track. Enjoy Pittwater.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
......If you want to get fancy you can add a "Foreguy" to pull the pole down. This also runs to the mast base and a turning block then back to the cockpit along the topping lift halyard.
You will be able to raise and lower the pole. The foresail sheets provide you forward and aft control of the sail. To gybe or tack you will need to go forward and release the pole from the sail, task the sail, reattach the pole to the sail.
Good luck. ask if there are any questions.
Just a comment on this explanation....
The fore guy works much better if anchored to a block set on the foredeck rather than the mast base.... the purpose is not only to prevent lifting but to control the pole's side to side position... it works in conjunction with the topping lift and the spinnaker pole's after guy, or the whisker pole's headsail sheet. A triangular harness, so to speak.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Couple more pics showing foredeck mount, we fitted a couple of guides on the port side hand rail to bring the kicker back to the cockpit Rope clutch.
Topper and kicker clutches are next to each other making adjustments simple .

2F2EC09E-E83A-416B-8161-91C161DA4B04.jpeg 337160EE-4FF1-4569-A20C-95C76165DFC5.jpeg

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
If you run the jib car all the way forward, the jib sheet should supply sufficient downward pull. The Foreguy is rigged FORE to keep the pole off the standing rigging. I have a stopper knot in my Foreguy so it will be stopped by the rope clutch before contacting the stay.