Polaris Compass / no fluid

Apr 30, 2021
Sirius 21 Pakenham
The compass mounted on the port cabin bulkhead has no fluid and is just upside down. I have had it off and cannot see how to take it apart and fill it. Looks rather cheaply made. The only marking I can see says Polaris. Is there something close in size that I can replace it with that will work on the inclined bulkhead. Was that compass original to the boat?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can’t help with a replacement but be forewarned about simply filling it again. It leaked for a reason which will also need to be addressed - gasket failed.

Apr 30, 2021
Sirius 21 Pakenham
Point taken. Better to replace. That or just remove and glass in the hole. My hand held chart plotter has a compass anyway. That and one around my neck should be sufficient.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You need to share how it was mounted, what size it is, etc.

there are probably replacements available from companies like Ritchie or Plastimo.

But we need to know how it was mounted and what size...a picture is really helpful.

I did refill my Ritchie Navigator over the winter. It wasn’t empt, but it did have a large air bubble in it.

Good luck.

Greg

Apr 30, 2021
Sirius 21 Pakenham
Thanks for the reply

It is bulkhead mounted beside the hatch on the port side. The bulkhead is at a 15 degree angle. The hole size is 3 1/2 inches. The Plastimo Mini Contest would fit the hole and be the same size but is meant for a vertical mount to 5 degrees max. The Contest 101 would work but would be significantly larger.

IMG_4001.jpg

Jun 19, 2020
Mcgruer Sirius 21 Camden
Same issue with mine
Still looking for a replacement, let’s combine efforts and if either of us comes up with a solution, we can share info
Mine was held on with caulk and 4 bolts

Jan 7, 2011
Apr 30, 2021
Sirius 21 Pakenham
Thanks. I will take a look at the Richie web site. I think I have already looked and the thru hole size is much larger than mine. I will check though.

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks. I will take a look at the Richie web site. I think I have already looked and the thru hole size is much larger than mine. I will check though.
Not sure what is on the inside, but a jig saw or oscillating tool would make opening the hole up a bit pretty easy.

Greg