POIs around Merritt Island area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Hello guys. I am heading down to the new/old boat this week for several days of systems checks, maintenence and general cleaning. Goal is to get boat in usable shape and begin exploring the area and learning the boat. Can anyone advise me on what is there that we should check out. Remember I am a lake sailor transitioning so keep it on the easy nav/anchor side . 4'8" draft. Boat is in Merritt Island/Satellite Beach area. Looking at a week or so to fool around. Approx. December 1 date to begin. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Hello guys. I am heading down to the new/old boat this week for several days of systems checks, maintenence and general cleaning. Goal is to get boat in usable shape and begin exploring the area and learning the boat. Can anyone advise me on what is there that we should check out. Remember I am a lake sailor transitioning so keep it on the easy nav/anchor side . 4'8" draft. Boat is in Merritt Island/Satellite Beach area. Looking at a week or so to fool around. Approx. December 1 date to begin. Thanks!
You can walk from the marina, to the irish scottish bar, (the shamrock and thistle) been a few years since i was in it, so dont know if its still there. Their is also a gun range on merritt island, you can hire a handgun, and blast away at the targets. As for sailing, its all pretty much up and down the indian river. Their is a park, somwhere round there, that you can hire a canoe, and paddle down the river, and the aligators will be swimming in the river, but i think this time of year, they may not be in the water, probably on the banks getting as much sun as they can.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Thanks Al! Am more looking for accessible islands or beaches where I can get some anchoring, sailing and dinghy practice in. Fewer people the better. Any other boats that may be into similar pursuits would be most welcome company. I want to get familiar enuff with boat etc this winter so can be ready for some real trips this spring/summer. I have had the itch in a bad way for quite a while now and just got my first boat that can do what I want. I have learned everything I have ever done by the total immersion tactic. So looking for best learning types of trips right now. Is more about the lessons than fun for me. Probably gonna be looking at some classes while there on Navigation if anyone has recommendations in that area. If you are local there keep an eye out for me...lol.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Are you here yet? I know the area fairly well and can point out some good spots.
PM me with a # when you splash down.

Mar 5, 2011
Seafarer 31 Yawl Tall Rig Melbourne, Florida
Thanks Al! Am more looking for accessible islands or beaches where I can get some anchoring, sailing and dinghy practice in. Fewer people the better. Any other boats that may be into similar pursuits would be most welcome company. I want to get familiar enuff with boat etc this winter so can be ready for some real trips this spring/summer.
Drop me a note when you are ready I make runs to the "Marker 21" Islands. They are south in the ICW a short days (4-5hr) sail from MI. It is straight shot, deep water and no real hazards to avoid. Most of the time I anchor on the west side 2 or 3rd island you come across. Great place to practice anchoring and dingy skills. Week days the islands are empty, weekends have a few people.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Drop me a note when you are ready I make runs to the "Marker 21" Islands. They are south in the ICW a short days (4-5hr) sail from MI. It is straight shot, deep water and no real hazards to avoid. Most of the time I anchor on the west side 2 or 3rd island you come across. Great place to practice anchoring and dingy skills. Week days the islands are empty, weekends have a few people.
Sounds great John! I met Merlin last time down.Going to try to draft him for the sail when I get back prolly right after Christmas to move the boat. Got to have her hauled out at Telemar and do the bottom first.Will certainly let you know when I am sure which day I will be down! I can use that practice...lol! Thanks again!

Mar 5, 2011
Seafarer 31 Yawl Tall Rig Melbourne, Florida
I should be around for most of the holidays I watch the grand canal boat parade form south end of the banana river

Status
Not open for further replies.