Point Gun at foot... fire away!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yes, I was hoist by my own petard yesterday. We launched the trimaran yesterday. I boarded the boat to start the motor. Turning the key, it would not crank. I had just run this motor, as I always do, that morning before trailering to the marina. I immediately went to the cabin to turn off any other switches, thinking something was drawing on it. Opening the companionway doors, I was shocked to find 4” of water in the cabin!
My head came up, and I looked at my wife and said, “we are taking on water, fast!” I left the boat to go get the trailer, very calm and determined.
I pulled the boat onto the trailer, and pulled the boat out of the water. I expected to see a fountain of water flowing from a broken transducer or a crack somewhere. The boat has no through-hulls.
With the boat on the ramp, the three of us looked under the boat to see no water escaping. We were puzzled. How had 50-100 gallons of water gotten into the boat in just a matter of a couple minutes.
We pulled the boat onto level land to see if that revealed a point of ingress. It did not.
Then I figured it out. I had cut an inspection hatch in a rear compartment to find and repair a slow leak that allowed water in only when we were sailing. The rear area above the compartment is actually a wet area that has drains out the transom. It has a rudder trunk for the kick-up rudder that is open through the bottom of the boat.
I had not screwed down the inspection port, a 10”x12” opening! I wanted to be able to look in easily after launch to see if any water leaked in! Haha! It sure did!
I had no idea that water would come up that high into the transom area during launch. It is a pretty large area, large enough for a 6 gallon gas tank, beneath the swim step.
So, I had taken it very slowly down the ramp, allowing the transom to spend a long time under water, allowing a huge amount of water to rush into the inspection port. Ugh!
It took us an hour to remove the water from the boat and get it dried out.
We SEALED THE INSPECTION HATCH! Then we launched the boat to find it stayed nice and dry.
Interestingly, the motor was only vapor locked. There was no electrical issue. I never really needed to look in the cabin. Before the second launch, I gave the pull cord a tug to move the cylinder, and then I tried the starter. It cranked as normal. It was flooded with gas, but it started when we launched it.
So by the time I had gone to look in the cabin during the first launch, the transom was above the water again, so the boat was not taking on more water. It would not have sunk, but I did not know that.
It was a beautiful day, and all ended well. We laughed over our adventure at lunch at the marina pub. We got the boat set up, and we will return Weds to sail it. The irony is that I had cut the inspection hatch to FIND a leak, but I created one! :banghead:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
but I created one!
Only a temporary one that was quickly resolved. At the least you remembered where your keys were and quickly enough got the boat out of the water. Just think about the angst if you started patting your pockets shouting “Where are my keys. Where did you put them?”

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Neptune was smiling down on you! It isn’t wise to tempt him very often!! Nice job though getting her out and keeping your cool.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Confession is good for the soul. It is a big person who can admit a bonehead move and share it with others. We've all done something we regret - sometimes only moments later. At least, most of us have - I'm sure there are a few who have never screwed up... OK, a few that won't admit it to themselves.

I've been on at least 3 boats in the last year that were taking on water an at alarming rate before we discovered the source and corrected it. I've been tempted to share our own recent situation. Maybe I'll find the nerve to do it one of these days...

Aug 3, 2012
I figure I am the source of at least 1/2 of my own laughter! It is probably a sign of good health. I try to use two tests when considering any action: 1. How would I explain this to my wife or the police, and 2. Will this be a viral video on YouTube? I think these are good moderators of thinking.

As far as mistakes, they are almost always made several minutes before their consequences are known. I find myself thinking, “oh yeah. I made a mistake about 5 minutes ago... now I know what it was.” It is usually born of overconfidence or hurrying.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
This year splashing my newish Capri 22 wing keel, couldn't get any float with the exhausts in the water. Chocked the wheels, removed the trailer from the car, strapped it to the hitch and unchocked the wheels. The strap immediately broke and the boat and trailer launched themselves. I grabbed the boat and my help the trailer for the fastest launch in my history. No damage to anything but my ego!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I'm glad you were able to fix it with no real damage.
Many years ago I was headed out to a race on a Thursday evening. Just as we got to the race course we noticed water on the cabin sole. I couldn't immediately determine where it was coming from so we turned around and headed in as fast as we could under power. While under way I traced the water coming in to back under the cockpit. I climbed in the cockpit locker and saw water coming in through a transom thru hull that the hose had come off. This was a drain for the propane locker that is hard to access and I had likely not tightened the clamp properly the year before when I was in there. At rest, the drain is above the water line but with the boat at hull speed the stern wave put it well underwater. Ironically, hurrying to get back in quickly caused more water to come in. Again, the only damage was to my ego!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Yes, I was hoist by my own petard yesterday.
Sounds like a great phrase for all the stories I’ve heard about smaller motor boats, that forget to put the drain plug in before launch. Even Geico Insurance commercials are using that theme on a recent radio commercial. Sounds like your inspection plate is a bit bigger than a plug. Good catch and quick response worked well. Nice save!

Maybe I should relate my yesterday event where the wind blew my light weight aluminum ladder down while I was replacing one of the batteries in the engine compartment. Yes I should have tied it off to a stanchion or something. I found it very difficult and still an uncomfortable ways down when considering the swim ladder or the scaffolding I was using.

As I scanned the yard for a rescue, the only other person in sight was a sailor working on his badly weathered, wooden hull, 1962 Hereschoff, he being about 20 years my senior. So I went to the bow and yelled “excuse me Sir”. This I repeated at least 3 more times to no avail. So I leaned out on the pulpit and frantically flagellated my arms in hopes he would see the action. 10 minutes later he turns out from sanding his freeboard and bright works, observing the ridiculous activity on the deck of my boat. I once again yell out “excuse me Sir, could you please help with my ladder”!

At that point the ear plugs come out...and the ladder rescue ensues. I now have a new friend named Bob, and heard the marvelous history of his boat, built in Maine, sailed to a customer in Florida, sale is unsuccessful, the boat is sailed back to Maine, and currently is living out it's retirement on Cayuga Lake. His last words as we departed were “see you on the water”!

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
I figure I am the source of at least 1/2 of my own laughter! It is probably a sign of good health. I try to use two tests when considering any action: 1. How would I explain this to my wife or the police, and 2. Will this be a viral video on YouTube? I think these are good moderators of thinking.

As far as mistakes, they are almost always made several minutes before their consequences are known. I find myself thinking, “oh yeah. I made a mistake about 5 minutes ago... now I know what it was.” It is usually born of overconfidence or hurrying.
You may want a third test. 3. If it involves “I’ve got an idea, hold my beer”, it may be time for an official timeout to reconsider!

Aug 3, 2012
This year splashing my newish Capri 22 wing keel, couldn't get any float with the exhausts in the water. Chocked the wheels, removed the trailer from the car, strapped it to the hitch and unchocked the wheels. The strap immediately broke and the boat and trailer launched themselves. I grabbed the boat and my help the trailer for the fastest launch in my history. No damage to anything but my ego!
You were just going too slow! That boat decided to launch itself!

Aug 3, 2012
I guess while we are at it, I have another harrowing adventure to impart. I had my boat up on jacks just above the trailer with the outriggers extended. I had jacks under the outriggers. I moved the jacks under the outriggers back a bit to paint under the jacks. All was fine. I pulled the tape of the waterline of the main hull and the port outrigger. As I was pulling the tape off the inboard side of the starboard outrigger, the minuscule force of pulling the 1” wide tape caused the outrigger to move inward. It caused a chain reaction. It picked up speed, unbalanced the boat on the jacks, and slammed the outrigger shut just above me as I ducked out of the way. The boat had shifted on the jacks, causing the outrigger to accelerate. The space remaining between a closed outrigger and the main hull is about 2” where I was standing! Now I had to get the boat upright. Luckily, my wife humors me, and she came and helped me with a floor jack while I set boat jacks and righted the boat. Whew!

Boats are definitely a humbling experience. No hubris here...