PNW Cruisers

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
les, After the chill your going to enjoy the Caribbean

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
absolutely - - I didn't take any pic's yesterday - but am going to need to weld up new alternator adjustment arm, and either drill and tap t-stat housing - or pull housing and try and get 1 broken bolt/stud out of the block and 1 out of the t-stat housing. None of which I broke off... oh well something to think about while I work on my tan & G&T consumption.

Les

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Kings, I certainly don't plan to motor the entire way, but your point is well taken. Strapping on jugs of extra fuel may be a good idea, but if we suck more fuel than planned we can always duck into one of several harbors along the way and wait for the fuel dock to open.
To carry five to ten, or so, extra gallons of fuel on a long trip overnight is a good idea whether or not it is ever used. One does not evaluate the quality of preparation based on whether or not such preparation was ever needed. Read your original post--you cannot go "non-stop" if you're stopping for fuel, etc. Fuel may not be easy to get at the customs offices. So, you're changing your plan, now with stop overs. Good luck and have fun.:)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So wrist, why are you going to Montague? You're trapped by passes/tides..you can clear at Montague and go to Tumbo and stay on the outside. In fact, there a customs phone there. You might need a Nexus there but check it out..if it works, you could leave Anacortes and go up to Silva Bay. Just trying to feed your insanity!!! Ha!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If I were to attempt this, which gratefully I am not (under these time constraints), I'd probably run "over the top" of the SJs, cross Haro, clear at Bedwell, then continue inside the Gulf Islands where it might be a bit safer to travel at night under power, especially with clear skies and moonlight. Pop out at Nanaimo by early morning:snooze:, and run NWly near VI's east coast if NW winds to face; thus, perhaps, in flatter seas, until reaching a point where I could bear NNE-NE toward the Sound, then sail across the Strait of Georgia in daylight on port tack, arriving by late afternoon of the 2nd day of travel. The tricky part is Dodd Narrows just before getting to Nanaimo. It's safest to pass through in daylight at slack tide; can anchor at Pirate's Cove Marine Park at De Courcy Is. while awaiting the correct time. I suppose the real issue, however, is when and where to cross Strait of Georgia. You could sail right across from Nanaimo and then proceed up the mainland west coast, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Mark, I didn't know there was a Canadian customs post at Montague. Are you sure about that? I'll look into it, might be a decent option.

Kings, that route is pretty much what I had in mind, although with different timing. I was considering waking up in Montague bright and early (we'll try to avoid closing out the Hummingbird the previous night), sailing north, then cutting through either Porlier Pass or Gabriola Pass depending on which works best with time and currents. Then my night time route would be up the strait, arriving at Cortes early the next day. Exact route through the strait would be dependent on wind, sea state and currents. What do you think?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
From my point of view, the main reasons for going inside through the Gulf Islands are to (1) clear customs and (2) travel (motoring) NW against prevailing NWly conditions in flat water, so as to make time. The only time you should be out in the Strait of Georgia (if you have the choice) when it's windy @ 15 to 20+ kt is to get across it on a reach unless you have E/SE conditions in which case you could use it to travel toward the NW destination. (This might, however, require some harrrrdy sailing since the SE conditions are typically low pressure systems bringing rain and other "unpleasantness", etc.) So, longer inside is better for making time on the outbound, IMHO--thus, popping out at Nanaimo. You'll have to coordinate to the same slack water time during daylight at either Dodd or Porlier so you may as well maximize your NWing inside. (This strategy is common on the east coast where there is an intra-coastal waterway; i.e., use the ICW when traveling against conditions, etc., if possible.)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
When popping out of Naniamo you may have to skirt around the Wiskey Gulf military area if it's active?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Wrist, sorry I meant to clear at Bedwell and then go to Tumbo..Tumbo or close by has a customs phone but not sure if non Nexus can use it. Everybody here has good ideas and should be considered. After you choose your time, then you're gonna have to review tides and see what route(s) make sense. Then within several days of departure see if that route makes sense with current weather predictions. As an example, if you find a good flood going up the strait, and 20kt northerlies predicted, You dont want to be on the strait. You"ll go nowhere very fast and be very uncomfortable...So, you're going to have to have several contingencies and make some late decisions. And remember the the tidal flows are opposite in the strait north of Mittlenatch Is.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
We're going to sail round the clock all the way up, and round the clock all the way back. I'll probably do this in June. What do you all think? Crazy?
Been to Desolation a number of times and the best part of the trip are the stops along the way up and back. It is nice to spend time there, but so it is along the away. Lasqueti, Nanaimo, Lund, Secret Cove, Smuggler Cover, Montegue, etc. You can do it in nine days, but not our type of sailing.

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/discovery-island-cruise-2005.177164/

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/pacific-northwest-cruising-2004-2010.178039/

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Scotty, good point about Whisky Golf. Yet another variable to consider.

Terry, I've been to most of those places you mention and done several leisurely harbor hopping trips through the gulfs and to the other side of the strait. But this time the goal it to punish ourselves, with respite for a few days when we get there. I'm not even quite sure why I want to do this so badly, I'll probably get back I'll say "Gee, that sure was stupid". But what can I say, for now I want to give it a go.

Kings and Mark, I fully understand how dependent this plan is on weather, sea state, currents, crew, fuel, boat holding together etc. The stars will have to align to enable this to happen. But the beauty of sailing in this area is the ability to alter plans on the fly. If things don't line up to make it all the way to Desolation, so be it. We'll just have to suffer through a blissful week bouncing around the Gulfs. I can handle that.

I should mention I attempted this very voyage with a couple buddies a few summers ago, and didn't get further than Bedwell. Turns out one of the crew had a felony and DUI on his record he failed to tell us about. Bedwell Customs kicked our butts right out of Canada (after the most thorough interrogation and boat search I've ever experienced). We ended up cruising the San Juans for the week, had a blast.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
But this time the goal it to punish ourselves, with respite for a few days when we get there. I'm not even quite sure why I want to do this so badly, I'll probably get back I'll say "Gee, that sure was stupid"
If you wish punishment why not attempt to beat out the Strait of Juan de Fuca and visit Barkley Sound? Now, that would be an adventure.:eek: Nine days would probably be enough to barely do that--similar distances.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
I've considered Barkley Sound. Couple reasons I'm favoring Desolation Sound:

1. If we have to bag our plans to go all the way and choose to bounce around more locally for the week, it seems there's more/cooler stops through the Gulfs and along the Strait of Georgia than there is along San Juan de Fuca

2. I hear glorious things about Desolation, not as much about Barkley.

But ... I'm wide open here. Tell me some things about Barkley Sound and the Strait of San Juan de Fuca that would sway my thinking!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
But ... I'm wide open here. Tell me some things about Barkley Sound and the Strait of San Juan de Fuca that would sway my thinking!
I've not gone out there via personal yacht. But, I thought if you wanted to experience punishment, that might be your ticket.:biggrin:

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Discovery Islands not near as far, just as glorious and very remote. Given the time
Terry, I've been to most of those places you mention and done several leisurely harbor hopping trips through the gulfs and to the other side of the strait. But this time the goal it to punish ourselves, with respite for a few days when we get there. I'm not even quite sure why I want to do this so badly, I'll probably get back I'll say "Gee, that sure was stupid". But what can I say, for now I want to give it a go.
Hey, it's worth a shot and might well be worth the effort. No different, I suppose, than a race around one of the islands in our venue. Some of my best sailing experiences have been across Georgia Strait. As mentioned previously, VHF channel 16 is a good source regarding the status of Whiskey Golf closure. Usually it is announced the day before any scheduled activity; ample time for adjusting sail plans. All expect a trip report upon your return. Hope it works out for you. Background check for each crew member in order before clearing?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm not even quite sure why I want to do this so badly, I'll probably get back I'll say "Gee, that sure was stupid". But what can I say, for now I want to give it a go.
Uhm, look at the red bold above ^^^^^^ :)

C'mon, everyone knows that sailing on a schedule is downright dumb.

Why are you even considering this? Given the advice here? And I'm a newcomer "up here" but even I know it's foolish.

Why not have a GOOD time instead of a HARD time? :)