Plywood in keel sump.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I understand that at some point Catalina quit using plywood to build up the thickness in the keel sump. Does anyone know what hull number that change was made?

Jan 21, 2018
Catalina 30 1620 Orange Beach, AL
My hull is a 1980 model #1620. Not sure if the previous owners had completed the factory service bulletin, but I do not have plywood in mine. Just got through re-torquing my bolts and cleaning the bilge and looking for plywood. It's my understanding that they stopped using plywood in the bilge somewhere between 1988 to 1992.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
We have a 1985 C30 MkI. How do you know if there is plywood there, and how thick was it? When I look in ours, there is glass cloth. I doubt any POs did anything, as not other bulletins were done. (I have not seen a bulletin on this issue, where could I find a copy?)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The plywood is under a layer of fiberglass in the bilge and was about 1.5" thick if memory serves. As long as there are no holes or cracks in the glass cover, it should stay dry and we all know that FG never cracks or gets drilled into. :liar:

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
There are some old drill holes from old floats and pumps in there. (Not to mention the new float and pumps.) I tried to seal the old holes with a few drops of resin and used butyl on the new screws. The bottom does not seem soft, so maybe we've lucked out.