Plugged Waste Vent Line

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Help! I am certain this brain trust has some innovative system for this! It appears that my vent line for the waste tank is plugged. I think it may be mud dobbers(sp?) but not certain. I really don't want to try flushing water down it (and I am not certain if this would work anyway) but I thought maybe someone has had this happen before and came up with a better way!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I really don't want to try flushing water down it
If you are concerned that you will somehow be cursed for life if you do this, pull the hose off the vent fitting and inspect the hose and fitting. Anyway you look at it, it's going to take some work on your part.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Flushing water down the vent is the easiest way of clearing the plug. If you have a hooded vent rather than a mushroom, it will be more challenging, however it will be easier than the other remedies, replacing the hose.

If you have a vent filter, get rid of it, they plug up easily.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I disconnected the vent hose at the tank and hooked up the inflatable dinghy foot pump - cleared it right out.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I rinse my vent line every time I pump out. I get the pump running and then hold the rinse hose so that the stream is directed at the vent opening. The fluid is leaving the tank through the pump which creates a vacuum that pulls the water down the vent. Inside the take it blasts away on the interior like a pressure washer which does a great job of flushing out the tank contents.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Nice article, Terry!

Holding tank vent lines 101:

All tank vents have two main functions: to provide an escape for air displaced by incoming contents and provide a source of air to replace contents as they're pulled out. When air displaced by incoming waste cannot escape out the vent the tank becomes pressurized, creating increasing back pressure that prevents the toilet from flushing.

Without a source of air to replace contents as they're being sucked out of the tank, the pump will pull a vacuum that'll prevent it from pulling out more than a gallon or two. A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank.

When air displaced by incoming waste cannot escape out the vent the tank becomes pressurized, creating increasing back pressure that prevents the toilet from flushing.

Do NOT use the toilet again or try to pump out or dump the tank until you've cleared the vent. Without a source of air to replace contents as they're being sucked out of the tank, the pump will pull a vacuum that'll prevent it from pulling out more than a gallon or two. A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank.

The two most common locations for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank...although not impossible, blockages in the vent LINE are rare and back flushing through a "vent" thru-hull rarely works. So start by cleaning out the thru-hull...use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works. If that doesn't result in a spew out the vent, you'll need to relieve the pressure before removing the vent line from the tank to clean them out...so open the deck pumpout fitting VERY CAREFULLY with a hose at the ready. Be sure you're UPwind of it! Scrape out that end of the vent line and the vent fitting on the tank...reconnect the vent line.

If there's a filter in the vent line, remove it...once a filter gets wet--which can happen when a tank is overfilled or even due to heeling--the charcoal swells and blocks the vent...one of the reasons why vent filters aren't recommended for use on most sailboats.

The best way to PREVENT vent line blockages: Replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead, aka "mushroom" fitting that you CAN put a hose nozzle against to back flush the line. Don't wait till you have a blocked vent to do that ...do it every time you wash the boat and/or pump out as PREVENTIVE maintenance.. Anything that's tried to set up housekeeping in the vent line will just get a water slide ride into the tank.

--Peggie

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Help! I am certain this brain trust has some innovative system for this! It appears that my vent line for the waste tank is plugged. I think it may be mud dobbers(sp?) but not certain. I really don't want to try flushing water down it (and I am not certain if this would work anyway) but I thought maybe someone has had this happen before and came up with a better way!
Well I tried the simplest solution and flushed the vent line thru the vent. It must not have been a bad plug but I will be diligent and rinse the vent whenever I was the boat in the future! Thanks all for your suggestions!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Nice article, Terry!

... A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank.

The best way to PREVENT vent line blockages: Replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead, aka "mushroom" fitting that you CAN put a hose nozzle against to back flush the line. Don't wait till you have a blocked vent to do that ...do it every time you wash the boat and/or pump out as PREVENTIVE maintenance.. Anything that's tried to set up housekeeping in the vent line will just get a water slide ride into the tank.

--Peggie
Great explanation Peggy. I have one question regarding the pumping out with a blocked vent. FWIW, I used your excellent advice to replace the factory vent on my Catalina 30 with an open 1" diameter vent and it was a fantastic upgrade and I now flush the vent (and the tank) at every pump out. I like giving the Plugger's a water-slide ride. WHHEEEEEE!
As you know, Catalina in their infinite wisdom, used a tiny hole in a stanchion as the black tank vents. Before doing your mod, the vent could never keep up with the air demands of even a poor pump out. It would always suck air in through the head past the joker valve. I would flush the tank by running water from the hand shower into the bowl and the pump out would pull it all to the tank and out.
Was I just lucky or was there something unique about my setup? It seems that they joker valve is a one-way valve that should always allow air into the tank to replace the volume removed by the pump out.