Plexiglass hatches

Sep 9, 2013
s2 7.3 Smith Mountain Lake
My 7.3 hatches are in need of replacement, the one on the fore deck is severely crazed and the curved companionway hatch has a new crack. I would like to replace them with the bronze color plexi, the fore deck is simple enough so I guess my question is is there a supplier who makes the curved companion way hatch or has anyone thermo formed a companion way hatch with any success? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
Dan, years ago we had a new hatch made for our 9.2a. A local plastics fabricating company used the old hatch as a model and built a wooden form, over which they thermoformed a new hatch. The key is that there were compound angles, which neither we or the fabricators had planned on, and that increased the cost. The mistake they made was to remove the hatch from the wooden jig prior to it's being absolutely completely cooled, and it had to be heated and reformed. All in all, a long and difficult process, and costly. The fabricators told us NOT to send anyone else with this problem, they were not interested in repeating the process. But the alternative was to lose the light afforded by the glass. We and they perservered. Good luck.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The previous owner of my boat made one. He said it was a royal pain. I don't know the details but he built a wooden male plug to thermoforming the plastic sheet. He found someone with a huge oven to heat it, then it had to be machined. I remember he said it cost a couple of thousand to do it. I would call http://www.eplastics.com/ePlastics-Photo-Gallery/Boat-Windows as they seem to handle these items. Won't be cheap by any means.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I replaced our two cabin hatches two yrs ago and also discussed the curved companionway hatch. They thought it would be pretty straightforward process with the heat forming etc. we were working from some iphone pix. Talk to Commercial Plastics in Seattle.

Dec 12, 2012
S2 9.2 A Mackinaw City
There is a sliding Hatch for 7.3 on EBay currently, has been listed for some time. He list it as a S2 Hunter for 7.3. EBAY Item #111622308651 Good Luck

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
I haven't tackled the curved main hatch yet, but the front hatch was fairly straight forward. Mine was completely split when I bought the boat. Took some measurements and had a square of plexi cut by a local plastic supply company. Then I trimmed to shape on the table saw, and used a sander to smooth the edges and round the corners. I think it was $100 bucks or something like that for the sheet. Then with some 220 grit sandpaper, I dulled the inside surface so it will let light through but you can't see through it. FWIW here are some photos...

Attachments

Sep 9, 2013
s2 7.3 Smith Mountain Lake
Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll get to work on the form and template before the existing ones disintegrate. Stan, if you get to it before me I want pictures!! In the meantime I'll be sailing.
DD

Feb 22, 2012
S2 8.5 1983 Seattle
Bronze tinted acrylic in 3/4 is tough to find. I have a full 4'x8' sheet, and some smaller pieces, and can duplicate your forward hatch in every detail S2 included. I have several to fit an 8.5 already made.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
How much for a hatch for a 9.2A? It may be the same as an 8.5, but I would have to confirm.

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
Lorin,

I think the confusion is that BobM and I are different Bob's both with S2 9.2's. I did get your pm - thanks. I'm leaning toward just having you send the raw materials and then doing the finishing work here (e.g. drilling holes, etc.) I was unable to get to the boat this weekend to confirm that a 24" piece would work for the front hatch. I will get those measurements this coming weekend and get back to you on planned next steps.

I took the liberty to forward a copy of your message to BobM.

Thanks,

Bob

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
How easy is it to drill the holes? Mine is a square....probably meant to be 24 x 24 but actually 23.75 x 24.5. It has a four inch radius at the two front corners. Meaning that is you measure across the corner where it starts curving it is four inches.

Aug 20, 2015
S2 8.5 Lake Carlyle, IL
Bronze tinted acrylic in 3/4 is tough to find. I have a full 4'x8' sheet, and some smaller pieces, and can duplicate your forward hatch in every detail S2 included. I have several to fit an 8.5 already made.
Hi Lorin.

If you have a forward hatch made for the 8.5 I would like to buy it. Mine is still OK but with all the crazing it is only a matter of time before I need one.

Thanks!!

Bruce K

Sep 17, 2017
Pearson 28-2 washington nc
I made my 7.3 front hatch cover as others have described. I also added, using a router, a 1/8" deep groove on the inner face about 1/4" from the edge. This intercepts any water that would like to creep across from the edge to the gasket.