Please Update Your Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would hope that everyone would have updated their personal profiles by now. It would be good to know the general vicinity of where your live/dock your vessel when replying to questions.

Very few sailors on the West (left) Coast or South East ever pull their boats except to do maintenance. You mid-western & east coasters pull most every year.

Please update your profiles with the general vicinity and state so we sort of know who the hell we are corresponding with.

IE:Chesapeake, MD; Long Island Sound, CT; Houston, TX (get the idea?). If you don't like this idea, you are welcome to tell me to goto-hell!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Looking at the profiles tells me that some members are concerned that they will become the targets of large scams if they disclose any details of their personal life or of their boats. Good scammers already know those details and have decided that we aren't worth the effort.

Mar 18, 2010
O'Day 222 Smith Mountain Lake, VA
I agree

No web pseudonyms for me. While your at it, add your boat details ( brand / model / year ). Might be useful someday

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Boatless Boatless Annapolis
I don't do Facebook, MSN, Twitter etc. because I like my privacy. I really prefer to keep my business to myself and only provide basic info.

Regards,

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I don't do Facebook, MSN, Twitter etc. because I like my privacy. I really prefer to keep my business to myself and only provide basic info.

Regards,
Google you phone number and see how private your life is. ;)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Or even worse, try something like 411.com or mylife.com and go see your street address and names of family members.

Unless you're hiding from the FBI, IRS, or IRA, putting your sailing grounds in your profile or signature isn't much of a security risk.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I always had visions of Steve Martin in 'The Jerk':

"I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this book everyday! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity - your name in print - that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now. "

But I'm also getting to old to care anymore... I've put up a good bit of info, I think it helps make this site what it should be..to hell with the scammers.

Dec 2, 1999
Ken:

That is the spirit. It is not like anyone wants your SSN, Home Address, number of legitimate and/or illegitimate children, phone number and your annual income.

or as Sgt Joe Friday would say "just the facts, ma'am". Sailing Grounds, State, and type of boat would be nice.

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
Ducati and Phil Herring, it would be nice if in the "public profile" you would complete the "home port" field with the complete "City and State".
Then we could see where you "port" with out having to look it up in the "public profile", I think that is what Steve is suggesting.

Bill

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
stalkers are another matter.

Jun 19, 2010
Oday 23 Percy Priest TN
I'm all updated!

This might be fatally naive but I figure if someone wants to find and kill me they are going to get to me one way or another. At which time I will introduce them to Dr. Glock.

I think my bank account is much more at risk for cyber crime than my house.

As a side note: I have an iphone app that shows all the registered sex offenders in my vicinity. I guess they forfeited their privacy!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego

Regards,
I fail to see how putting your home port is any threat to your privacy... after all.. you don't need to use your real name, or you boat name, or anything else real. The e-mail addys can only be accessed by members and they are hidden behind the SBO wall...

So at the very least you should indicate what type of boat you sail and where you sail it... the rest can be as creative as you want it to be... saying you are trying to protect your privacy is BS. it only shows how misinformed you are. If you really want to protect your privacy... don't get on the internet...period.

I've been on this forum for over 10 years and never received any spam that could be traced back to SBO.... so... think of a better excuse than that.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Another approach is to use the "signature" portion of your profile. This attaches a signature to every post and makes it easier than digging through someones profile to answer a boat specific question..

Go to: Your Control Panel then scroll down to Edit Signature

Boat, model/length, GENERAL sailing waters, perhaps engine brand would help a great deal

No one can track you on boat (but they can by the name), engine or general sailing waters..

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I've been on this forum for over 10 years and never received any spam that could be traced back to SBO.... so... think of a better excuse than that.
Joe,

I no longer use my name on this or any other forum due to an internet predator/stalker situation that happened back about ten years ago. Picked the guy up on a sailing forum and he was a real psychopath and it went on for nearly two years. I would be glad to give you more specifics off line... I could care less about spam.....

Dec 2, 1999
Princess:

Thanks! It just drives me crazy to see an ID like bc30574. We have no idea who this person is and they do not provide a signature either. I guess if we never answered their posts, that would make them update huh! <g>

PS: You are only as old as you feel. Somedays it's 26 and other days it's 62.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
A word to the wise is sufficient

I work for a Dep of Defense organization that, among other things, conducts Cyber defense of the DoD network.
Sharing less is better than sharing more. You have no idea what hackers are able to do. One piece of info here another there, still another in another place. It is VERY easy for a skilled person to build a complete picture of you, your habits, likes and dislikes, and once he/she has enough info they can start using your info for credit cards, internet purchases, predicting when you will not be at your boat and robbing you.
For instance, Give me a few minitues and I'll do some research on Mr Steve Dion. Just for giggles Steve.
start 1707 26 Aug 10

Status
Not open for further replies.