Please help me mount my motor bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

I am about to install an adjustable outboard motor bracket on my 1972 O'day, 19 ft. Mariner 2+2. Can anyone give me some tips or pointers as to placement and height bracket should be installed at? I do not have any instructions as the bracket was purchased "used". The motor that will be mounted on it is a "long shafted" Mercury, 4.5h.p. When in the "raised" position, I would like the motor completely out of the water, without having to "tip" the motor up. Is this type of installation possible?

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Of outboard brackets...

Steve, Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to raise the outboard enough to get the prop out of the water without tipping it. I had similar thoughts on my daysailer but couldn't rig it. The deciding factor in placing the outboard is the ensure that the anti-cavitation plate on the engine is below the water (by as much as possible) no matter how the boat is trimmed. Ideally, you want to be able to walk to the bow under power without lifting the engine from the water. This will prevent cooling water starvation and prop cavitation with associated driveline shocks. So, you need to place the bracket fairly low. Once you've done that, you probably will not have enough bracket lift to pull the prop out. This was frustrating for me because if I tip the engine forward, the powerhead interfered with the traveler. I never found a good solution. YMMV, Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.