Pleasant Surprise/Docking

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Essentially would be coming in - grap a bite of the secured mid ships spring line, try and loop the far most dock cleat and do a quick wrap of the running end?
The following videos show it done with a fixed length loop. Notice that BOTH ends go to midships.
Two different uses. Same idea.

In both cases the spring line puts the load midships. With the engine in forward, the boat will be pulled to the dock.
Because the cleat is at the middle, it pulls the boat somewhat evenly to the dock. Unlike what would happen if the line was towards the bow or stern.

When the boat is against the dock, if you keep it in forward, and the rudder turned away from the dock.. The boat will sit there nicely and you can step off and tie the other lines. No crew or jumping needed.

The above techniques use a loop of a preset length. Some people, including myself do it differently.

What I do: Line with a loop in the end->midships cleat used as a turning point->back to the winch in cockpit.

That way you still get a line that runs from the dock directly to midships, but allows you to adjust the length when docking.

The trick with all this is determining the location for your midships cleat. I pick a calm day and experiment. Each boat design will have a slightly different location fore or aft that is best.
In the past I attached a lead to the toe rail, but you need to ensure it is strong enough.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
This stern bridle technique has always worked well for us
The stern bridle IS the same idea as the midships spring. but in the case of the midships spring, the line attaches to the middle of the boat, to even the load between bow and stern.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
When folks on the dock offer to help us as we approach we always politely decline. In those precious seconds I want to focus at the task at hand, not quickly tell the person what he or she should do, hope I explained it clearly, hope that they understood, and hope the distraction doesn't foul things up.

We have fenders out and lines ready before we enter the marina. Our on board lines are just the mid-ship spring line and the stb bow line. The stb stern line and port bow line stay on the dock (double slip with a stb tie up).

Stb bow line is pulled back and draped on the life line for easy grabbing from the dock. Spring line is in hand of the crew, who is ready to step off when they are near the dock cleat. A short burst of reverse, if needed while the crew secures the spring line, then they hand the stern line to the helmsman to secure on the stern boat cleat, then crew walks up to grab and tie off the bow line.

The only time this gets exciting is when a strong stb wind is pushing us away from the dock,particularly since we approach our slip from the windward direction with no option to pass our slip, turn around and approach from the leeward direction.

We don't yet have our spring line set right. I'd like to be able to drop the spring line on the cleat (from the boat with a boat hook) , put the engine in forward and pull tight to the dock. That way no one has to step off. As it's set now, however, the bow turns to the dock and the stern swings towards our neighbors boat. Our midship cleat attaches to the toe rail so we can secure it anywhere along the toe rail, we just need to take the time to find the sweet spot. I've read it should be at the widest point, but that didn't work for us.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When folks on the dock offer to help us as we approach we always politely decline.
:plus:
Amen! Every boat handles a little differently and you soon get the hang of your boat. About 4 months ago, I headed to the slip for an evening cruise. There was a birthday party happening on the dock so there were a few extra people around than normal. I had my boat parked on a finger pier port-to in an inside slip with no neighbor to starboard. I untied my lines and had started to back out when this drunk dad comes running down and says “let me help buddy” and he puts his foot on my bow and thrust hard. And turned me 90 degrees inside my slip… with the tide pushing me in. :facepalm:

He was not helpful at all.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I've read it should be at the widest point, but that didn't work for us.
It should be at the spot that balances bow and stern forces.
Keel and Hull alter that.

Having it rail mounted makes it simple to find. I. Just used an old block. In the past I have run a line between stanchions and moved a loop fore and aft. (Obviously you wouldn't use the stanchions for the permanent task. Only to gently find the position) . 30 minutes at the dock at most, adjusting it fore and aft.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
The stern bridle IS the same idea as the midships spring.
Yes and no. One important difference is that the stern bridle gives you much more control of the boat especially if current or wind is pushing you off the dock. Also, with a stern bridle there is no guesswork about how long the line needs to be to keep you from hitting the end of the dock. The back cleat, where the end of the bridle is attached will line up with the dock cleat that you put the bridle on. With our 35' boat on a 40' dock, we know we will never hit the end of a dock if I throw the line on the end cleat of the dock when coming in.

We have used mid spring lines in the past, but had issues in higher winds especially approaching a dock with a center pole between the 2 wells located near the stern of the boat. Hit the dock with any speed at all, and spring line will cause the bow side of the boat to hit the dock, and kick the stern out against the (never padded) pole. This never happens when using a stern bridle. We've found it much more controlled.

Also, no need for docking pole, docking sticks or any other gadgets. Just pretend that dock cleat is a steer and rope it.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
make enough docks and two things will happen. one, you will lose the engine. two, the cleat will rip out of dock.

be ready for PLAN "B"

• Helpful
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
So, if I understand this correctly, one should never attempt to dock their boat while sober.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
With our 35' boat on a 40' dock, we know we will never hit the end of a dock if I throw the line on the end cleat of the dock when coming in.
Same with midships setup, with the advantage that the slip can be shorter than the boat.

with a stern bridle there is no guesswork about how long the line needs to be to keep you from hitting the end of the dock
Same with midships. That is simply a function of making the line length the correct minimum.
Having an adjustable line allows you to centre the boat on longer dock fingers. No guessing needed, just let it out when docking. Super simple for single handing.

the stern bridle gives you much more control of the boat especially if current or wind is pushing you off the dock.
Not sure how that is any different than a correctly mounted midships setup.

. Hit the dock with any speed at all, and spring line will cause the bow side of the boat to hit the dock, and kick the stern out
If that is the case, the midships setup is in the wrong spot. In that example... Too far forward.

A well setup midships system won't pull the stern over like a pure stern bridle or pull the bow in, like a badly installed midships cleat. That is why the correct spot needs to be determined. You can't simply use a cleat at the widest beam or the middle of the Hull length.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Different strokes...but having done both (and we have) I'll take the stern bridle technique any day. During the summer we cruise up on Lakes Erie, Michigan and Huron. Different marinas and docks every time we hit a marina. There are other tools in our docking toolbox, but the one constant that seems to work all the time for us everywhere is that stern bridle.

Feb 21, 2020
Catalina 320 Santa Barbara, CA
We have a windward slip (good) but there is usually a bit of an angle from the starboard side. We are on the starbd side of our double boat (horseshoe) slip, so the slightly starbd direction wind wants to push us into our neighbors boat (bad). We have started using this technique that Patrick uses in this video (first nine minutes) for single handing. We don't have the bow bumper on the boat (it would be yet another thing to do when coming in, along with docklines and fenders, and another item to store somewhere on the boat). But I installed two bumpers on our dock. It works well if our approach speed is right. If we come in too hot, the bow bounces off the bumper and moves downwind (to port). But when single handing, it has worked pretty slick when I have the speed right.

Mar 8, 2019
ODay 322 Bodkin Creek, Chesapeake Bay
I'm solo most of the time and always reverse into the slip. I have a pair of spring lines on the port side of the boat. If the wind's blowing me out of the slip, the aft spring line is grabbed first. If the wind's blowing me into the slip, I grab the forward spring. In either case, as the wind pushes/pulls the boat, the port side moves closer to the finger pier/dolphin. Shut the engine down and get the other lines on in slow time. I find that as long as I have some way on, the boat tracks fairly straight in most wind conditions.
I am SO jealous of you folks with wide slipways because the one to my slip is only 7 feet wider than the length of the 32 ft boat, as can be seen to the boat across from me and the slip itself is also narrow.

I have in the past eased forward, then done the fore-aft-fore-aft pivot but with ANY wind even that is just too dicey and gets close to touching the far boat, so I do like the solo crabbing captains.

I shift momentarily in and out of forward gear to almost drift to the end piling then throw a loop of rope around it to pivot on. One end is on the winch and the other in my hand with a single wrap on the winch so it doesn't require muscle. (The 322 has no mid cleats.) Once the boat's pivots to about 45 degrees I simply let the end of the line slip off the piling, inertia moves the aft end out as the bow keeps coming around, and I can put it into gear to depart.

Coming back, I bring the cockpit to the far piling, throw the line over it (again, one end on the winch and other in hand), then go in and out of reverse so the rear of the boat very slowly pivots back into the slip. As the boat comes aft, I move the piling line to slide on the rope between me and the boat on one side then a short second sliding line over the rope between me and the other neighbor boat. The aft docking lines are both loosely waiting on the finger pier piling I pull back to, so they are ready to grab and throw on a couple quick wraps. The sliding lines temporarily keep me from sliding into the dock behind me while I go forward to tie the bow lines and of course those are each marked for where they attach.

The 322 doesn't have much for rub rails so to pivot on the pilings I made a set of folding 80 inch long rub rail pads with 1.5" fire hose on two Azek PVC pieces glued into each section of hose. Each one has three short cords to attach to the toe rail with a flat piece which locks into the rail holes so no constant tying and untying.There's one for each side of the boat, plus a spare.

Took a while to figure out and I really am happy for (& jealous of) anybody with enough room to maneuver. Just trying to show that with some fore-thought you can squeeze into some pretty tight spots.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
stern bridle technique
As @sesmith identifies, the Stern Bridle technique has worked in all sorts of wind and sea states I have experienced in the Pacific NW.

When no cleat is available on the dock you can try and lasso the end of a bull rail, or better yet use a grappling hook.
1666722764505.png
One like this can be found on Amazon. Folds and stows neatly till needed. Toss it to the dock and it will stop you as you solo sail into a slip.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like the idea. Afraid my aim may be off. No telling what damage may happen.

Whether it is the spring line or the grappling hook both are dropped onto the dock.They catch the dock or cleat, and are secured to the boat. The engine it put in gear at idle and the boat snugs up to the slip dock. Because it is strong tied to the dock I am comfortable stepping off the boat. No chance for a bumper to slip or the boat to change position if a wave hits. I can easily secure the bow and stern lines then step aboard and shut down the engine for a positive experience.

:beer: Anyone?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Whether it is the spring line or the grappling hook both are dropped onto the dock. They catch the dock or cleat, and are secured to the boat. The engine it put in gear at idle and the boat snugs up to the slip dock. Because it is strong tied to the dock I am comfortable stepping off the boat.
:plus:

Mar 8, 2019
ODay 322 Bodkin Creek, Chesapeake Bay
Wanted to add this shot for how the folding rub rail pads are so easy to remove and stow, but can't edit the post made yesterday.