Play in tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Its not a big thing but I thought I'd ask this group if anyone has a simple solution to the "wobble" or play in the tiller on an O'Day 23.
I've tightened the bolt which attaches the tiller to the rudder but it appears there is wear in the pintles and/or maybe the gudgeons. After 31 years a little wear seems reasonable!

Its not a lot but there is a wobbliness to the tiller and it would be nice to get this out if there is a simple solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and thanks to all who contribute to this site .... I've learned much over the years from your postings.

James

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Ahoy James! What I would do is check into what you need to replace or exact which hardware is worn, Lintels or Fictions? Then replace that part. Rudy Nickers on of D&R Marine in As so net' Ma has all the O'Day parts in stock. Personally, I would't crawl into that Lazare hatch.You may get stuck in it. I did and man was that Scarry! If you have the room to do it, then go for it. Have someone's present to assist you just in case you do get stuck, just to be on the safe side. What I wound up doing was mounting an 8" Beckson, Deck plate in the center of my inside transom for an access to get at the GUDGION, swim ladder, engine bracket, and stern light wire. you should be able to reach over the the transom with one hand a through the access hole with the other hand with wrenches in both hands. I did it. It was a one man job on my OD 222. I'll give you a link to one of my picture albums in this which is on my profile, or you can ciick on my name Trinkka and it will take you there. Check out my owner's picture albums. There are ten in all. Feel free to adopt any you like. That's why they're in there. Good Luck! Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
James,
I remember talking to you on this forum about a year or two and it's great to hear from you again.
Please forgive my horrible spelling in my first reply. My son Tim is letting me use his touch pad to write these words, and I'm a little hazy on how to run it.

I am currently in a medical rehabation hospital in New Bedford. I just had a Cancerous tumor removed from my back last week at Boston's B&W
Hospital and I'm getting physical therapy here.

I can't figure out how to copy and paste a link on this pad, so what you'll need to do is go to my profile page by clicking on to my name, ''Trinkka'' and it will take you there. My photo albums are located on the right hand side of that screen. Just open the photo album, ''Trinkka's Mods'' and you will find the picture of the deck plate on inner transom on that first page.

Good Luck,
Your friend,
Joe ''Trinkka''

May 22, 2004
Oday 23 Bullock's Cove, RI
Thanks, Joe - Great to hear from you and yes I've been quiet for the last year - Glad to read the update and the hear about the removal of the tumor -Great to hear that you are now doing physical therapy. Keeps us posted on your progress ..... a whole bunch of us have you in our thoughts and prayers.

I remember the original I'll look up the pics again of the Beckson deck plate -

Was thinking about replacing everything but the $$$ is a bit of an issue right now. My estimate based on Rudy's site will be $210 for parts and .... I'm trying to do something for a little less - there are other updates/repairs needed first.

But great suggestion and appreciated. I hope to go to the boat tomorrow and check out the wear etc etc and then see what the alternatives for the rest of the season are ..... which includes - doing nothing!

James

Dec 24, 2010
Oday 22 Erie Basin Marina Buffalo, NY
Very good to hear you're on the mend Joe. Hang in there, it's amazing how much better they can make you feel in physical therapy. Prayers are still with you.

Pete Schmid

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
The hole at the top of my rudder had become enlarged causing lots of play in the tiller. I got a couple of bronze bushings from the hardware store. Drilled out the hole in the rudder so they would fit. You could also drill out the hole and and fill it with thickened epoxy and redrill the hole for the bolt.

Hang in there Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Thanks, Joe - Great to hear from you and yes I've been quiet for the last year - Glad to read the update and the hear about the removal of the tumor -Great to hear that you are now doing physical therapy. Keeps us posted on your progress ..... a whole bunch of us have you in our thoughts and prayers.

I remember the original I'll look up the pics again of the Beckson deck plate -

Was thinking about replacing everything but the $$$ is a bit of an issue right now. My estimate based on Rudy's site will be $210 for parts and .... I'm trying to do something for a little less - there are other updates/repairs needed first.

But great suggestion and appreciated. I hope to go to the boat tomorrow and check out the wear etc etc and then see what the alternatives for the rest of the season are ..... which includes - doing nothing!

James
James,
I am sure that you will come up with a good solution that won't hurt the wallet. I've done it a few times and the only secret is to try to '' think outside the box.''. A great example of this is the mast extrusion that I made out of Trex and PVC trim board for my hinged tabernacle. I saved mucho bucks on that one, believe me. Check out my photo album in ''My Profile for the pics on that.

Good Luck!
Joe

Pete and Rich.
Many thanks for thinking. of me. May the good Lord take a liking to all you fellows. I'm proud as punch to be able to call everyone on these forums, my friends.
Best Wishes
&
Warmest Regards,

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.