Play in rudder on 1995 351 Oceanis Beneteau

Feb 7, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Rockport,Tx
Has anyone dropped the rudder on a 351 Beneteau to fix play in shaft

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Have you seen this video? The 393's rudder assembly is close to the 351/352's.
It will give you an idea.
Good Luck.

Jan 6, 2014
Oceanis 351 Helsinki
Just loosen up four bolts from quadrant, no need to remove them. Remove the pin from quadrant. Then remove the pin from collar and the rudder should come off. No need to remove cables from quadrant.
Now, the rudder should come off nicely (I did whole thing alone and took about 20min)

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
How do you plan to fix the play? Are you sure it's something you can fix? It's not uncommon for rudders to have a little bit of play (check with other boats). My rudder has a little bit of play too but nothing to concern about.
By the way I also dropped the rudder some years ago but mainly to remove the shaft of the engine. I did what Beach Bum described. If you have good access (not so good on the Beneteau 361) then it's not a difficult job. Before assembly I cleaned up everything really well because it was getting a bit heavy sometimes before that (I found some kind of built up of dirt where the shaft passes through the top bearing which I cleaned/removed with sandpaper), greased the top bearing only (don't grease the lower bearing; it's water lubricated) and since then I have a very sweet and light helm.