Planning for re-rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe

I have an '87 Catalina 30 and am planning on having the standing rigging replaced. I've only owned the boat for a year, but my suspicion is that the rigging is original. Having been on a boat that was dismasted due to a failed shroud 4 days out into the Gulf of Mexico I can attest that cutting her loose in the middle of the night and then motoring back into US waters was no fun. Anyway, my question has to do with what considerations should I make when talking with a rigger? Is the wire rope, pins and turnbuckles all that typically need replacing? Is there any need to do anything with the hull connections (they seem to be holding up fine). Should the mast step be inspected? Does anyone have a basic checklist of all to consider on a re-rig? I have a roller furling and it appears to be in good shape. Your thoughts and input would be appreciated. There is a rigging company with a good reputation in my local area, but before talking with them, I wanted to get some more insight. Also, if anyone has had this done recently, I'd be interested in what would be typical for an overall cost to have it done. Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you!

D

Dave

Rerigging

Joe: I purchased a Catalina 27 about this time last year and found one of the shrouds with broken wires, so I rerigged. I contacted the Catalina factory in California and they took care of things. They had me make measurements of the existings stay lengths and then they cut new cable and put ends on for me. Cost was around $450 as I remember. I was happy with their work, but if you have a rigger nearby then they should be o.k. I used the same turnbuckles, but did have to get some replacement nut stops. I'm not sure why you would need to take the mast down. I just undid one stay at a time and replaced it by sending someone up the mast. There is no reason that you can't unstep the mast and do everything on the level, but I was to lazy for that. Good luck

G

Gary Jensen

on rerigging

I just returned from Flordia where I bought a 380 (1998). I did the decomissing and will recommission her in S.F. In answering your question on should you re-rig your 12 year old Catalina? my answer is yes...You didn't say just how much sailing the boat has been subjected to over the 12 years, but just the amount on time would make me want to at least have it surveyed (The rigging that is)and replaced as necessary. You can do your own survey if you just do it slow and sure...

T

Tom M.

Suggestions

First questions: are you a cruiser, or racer, do you intend to take long trips, how much time do you spend off shore? Suggestions if your mast pumps, some of the older 30's pumped badly, think about adding a baby stay, or how much more would a inner forestay, with intermediate shrouds would cost ?, 1-19 wire mostly fails at the swages, very rare would it break totaly in the middle, you might get one strand to pop, in the middle, so ask the rigger, what would it cost to add staylocks to both ends of the original standing rig, , the rigger can and should ZYGLO all of your open turnbuckles, and mast tangs, and if the head stay, and upper shrouds, and or back stay needs replacing, how much to go to the next, larger size wire, and still use the same turnbuckles, another suggestion, is if you have a split back stay, what would it cost to replace it with a dbl backstay, suggestion: after this work is done I would rebed my through deck chainplates, to avoid leakage, oh if you cruise, you can turn your sloop into a scutter, with the innerforestay, and a quick release pelican, this way when is starts to blow, roll up the jib, connect the staysail, reef the main.I hope I haven't confused you, good luck

D

Douglas Young

Catalina Direct

If you remove your own rigging and send it to Catalina direct they will make new rig for you at a very good price. www.catalinadirect.com

Status
Not open for further replies.