Placement of outboard bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EJ

I would like to move my outboard bracket as high as possible. Is there a guideline on positioning the bracket? (When my bracket is raised, I cannot tilt the motor because it jams against the railing. I would like to get the motor shaft out of the water as much as possible to avoid build up of zebra mussels.) The motor is a Chrysler Daysailor long shaft.

M

Mike

I had a similar problem. It's hard to say if my solution will work for you, because I suspect that any solution is highly dependent on the exact mechanics of your motor bracket. In my experience, when deciding the proper height for mounting your motor, you're primarily concerned with making sure that everything that should be below the water IS below the water -- basically, the entire prop and any cooling water intakes. You might want to consult the owner's manual for your motor to see if Chrysler gives any recommendations about how much draft the motor should have when it's running in the water. In solving this problem, I found that the solution had nothing to do with height. When the prior owner of my boat installed the motor mount, he cleverly mounted it so that when the motor was tilted all the way up, the *top* of the engine cover overlapped the transom by about 1.5" (the motor has two tilt positions -- one that just barely gets the prop out of the water, and one that makes the shaft of the motor just about parallel with the water). I found that by adding a 2" thick teak spacer between the motor mount and the transom, I was able to move the motor far enough aft (i.e., further away from the transom) that I could tilt it all the way up.

B

Bob F.

motor clearance

Would it help to turn the motor 90 degrees sideways before tilting?

Status
Not open for further replies.