Pivoting Wooden Tiller, Rudder Head Mod for H15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Pivoting Wooden Tiller, Rudder Head Mod for H15/H146

Having a lot of non sailing time on my hands after ripping the inside of my knee and then fracturing a bone in the same leg, I turned my mind toward messing about with my boat. Enthused by the great mod that Rusty S of the H170 owners did to his tiller (see H170 Owners Modifications), I put my mind to my own version.
The attached photos tell the story. The SBO Store supplied me with a tiller for a Hunter 23.5. This most closely matched the length and shape of the original steel H15 tiller. Cheek blocks, rudder head replacement are aluminium.

A solid aluminium bar replaced the original spacer that was at the top of the rudder assembly (this spacer used to hold the butt end of the original tiller). A 2” aluminium strap was screwed to the top of the bar. Cheek plates that were mounted on either side of the wooden tiller’s 2 inch sq butt end extended down either side of the strap to provide lateral support against the strap and also extended a bit further at the rear to provide for a pivot pin to go through the cheek plates and solid bar. A custom pivot pin for the tiller was turned out of stainless steel. I also glued a strap of Teflon to the underside of the tiller where the wood meets the metal strap to protect the varnish.

On the front of the solid bar I added a quick release clamcleat (CL257 to hold rudder down but release it quickly if an obstruction is hit) as well as keeping the original CL 218Mk2 (to hold the rudder up). The rudder control lines were fed through deck eyes that were mounted in spare holes in the original rudder cheeks and then through some small cheek blocks mounted on the solid bar to provide a little mechanical purchase.

I upgraded the existing tiller extension with a Spinlock EA 1200 (750 -1200mm) Asymmetric Handle Tiller Extension.

Now, if I can only find a nice flag pole for the holder I added.

This was the original:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
I guess you had to know what wrong with the old one to appreciate the new one. But I can tell that your work is excellent. Love a wood tiller(have a nice one on my Highlander). Bet you can't wait to give it a try. Over here we are about to be hit by the worst winter weather thus far.

Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for the compliment Ed. What was wrong with the old one was that it didn't pivot and it was ugly. Not that this one is so perfect. It was an evolving design and construction process, with which I had a dam lot of fun even if there were a few mistakes made. The final product doesn't match my original concept drawings but I am very happy with the outcome. I should draw it up properly so I can give it to anyone who might be interested in doing something like this themselves.
As to weather, we just had our warmest and driest November in 40 years.
Cheers,
Hollis

Feb 26, 2010
Thanks Matt. Wish I could start again though. I'd simplify the construction a bit (less parts). I was very fortunate to be able to work on this with an old colleague who is a machinist. He had access to an NC router and a lathe. His most important contribution was to bring my crazy ideas back down to earth by providing me with good engineering advice.
Are you buried in snow yet? Summer is just beginning here. Not too hot yet but very windy. It's been gusting to 25-30+ for a few weeks now. I am still on a crutch and will be until January so it's another month til I'm back in my boat again. By then I should have my hiking straps installed. I also made up a whisker pole while I've been 'dry docked'. If I didn't keep my mind active I would have gone troppo.
Cheers and happy holiday to you and yours.
Hollis

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 146 Duxbury, MA
Hiya Hollis - We got a half a foot last night, just in time to give us a white Christmas. Happy holidays to you too, I hope you have a speedy recovery and are out on the water soon.
Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.