Pirate Ship Theme- Good Idea or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2009
Columbia Yachts C22 Long Beach
I need opinions! (No shortage of that here)

I have an urge that's been simmering in my brain for a few years now, and since my next boat purchase will be the smallest boat I've ever owned, it would be the best candidate for my idea.

I want a pirate ship.

Yes, I've been watching wayyy too much Captain Jack lately, but that's beside the point!

Imagine a 22-24 foot fiberglass sailboat painted either brown like wood or black hull with a red stripe. Faux cannon ports painted in the side, wood railings, and a skeleton on the bow.

A miniature Queen Anne's Revenge.

We'll call her The Bloody Guppy.

My question for all of you is how well will this go over with the public?

Obviously, I am not a real pirate and anyone with a brain can see that it's just a nifty decorated boat.

Will it get me free drinks and cheers everywhere I visit, or will local harbor patrols pull me over left and right just to check me out?

The general consensus on this forum should accurately represent public response :)

2 things to consider:

A) I sail in California where weirdness is more accepted than other places.

B) It will look good and pro and not fall apart while sailing.

So, yay or nay?

Igetit

May 26, 2011
Hunter 270 Lake Monroe, Indiana
I really appreciate the risk you are taking, and your willingness to acknowledge that you sail in California, "where weirdness is more accepted". It's obvious you're a conscientious guy.

I think it would be wonderfully novel, and if well executed as you intend, a lot of fun. The only drawback I can see would be potential difficulty if you decide to sell this vessel, but if it's going to be your "smallest sailboat", that might not be a huge concern.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Buddy of mine makes a summer living giving tourists a ride and acting like a fool..(I mean Pirate) :D

Attachments

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Enjoy

Joel,

Your boat your decision.

I am relieved that you are on the left coast and have no chance of being in my marina, let alone the slip next to mine :)

Steev

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Hinterholler Shark 24 Greenhaven, CT
Joel,

Your boat your decision.

I am relieved that you are on the left coast and have no chance of being in my marina, let alone the slip next to mine :)

Steev
I would go for it! Our club has a fun race every year, super soaker water guns encouraged. One year we did a pirate theme, painted old headsail w/Skull & Cross Bones and all dressed as pirates. We had a blast!!!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
I'll send you all the mardi gras beads you'll need for your treasure chest. If you want 'em.

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
I say go for it. Life is short, make your dreams come true. You will have fun. Instead of painting your boat, see if a company makes removable graphics that will make things easier on the wallet, and you can change things up periodically.
Just my $2000 dollars worth....lol

Tom

Sep 25, 2008
Lancer 28 T Great Lakes
Unless the "public" is paying for the boat I fail to see where their thoughts factor in to it. Like the man said, it's your boat.

tom
s/v GAIA

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I agree with the preceding poster, Tom........... if you think it's cool, why worry what others think.... If you ask me, I think it's corny... been done before... etc.... but hey, I'm an old fuddy duddy.... HOWEVER........ I'll double bet ya that a miniature pirate ship would thrill many young boys and girls and probably a few adult Peter Pan's who've never grown up. So... I'd say....... GO FOR IT.......... WHY NOT?

John

Jun 3, 2006
Catalina 36mkII Alameda CA
go for it

I need opinions! (No shortage of that here)

I have an urge that's been simmering in my brain for a few years now, and since my next boat purchase will be the smallest boat I've ever owned, it would be the best candidate for my idea.

I want a pirate ship.

Yes, I've been watching wayyy too much Captain Jack lately, but that's beside the point!

Imagine a 22-24 foot fiberglass sailboat painted either brown like wood or black hull with a red stripe. Faux cannon ports painted in the side, wood railings, and a skeleton on the bow.

A miniature Queen Anne's Revenge.

We'll call her The Bloody Guppy.

My question for all of you is how well will this go over with the public?

Obviously, I am not a real pirate and anyone with a brain can see that it's just a nifty decorated boat.

Will it get me free drinks and cheers everywhere I visit, or will local harbor patrols pull me over left and right just to check me out?

The general consensus on this forum should accurately represent public response :)

2 things to consider:

A) I sail in California where weirdness is more accepted than other places.

B) It will look good and pro and not fall apart while sailing.

So, yay or nay?
Go for it... and I hope you relocate to my marina. The other sailors there would love it too (over here in Alameda).

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There recently was a small-ish boat- called the Federalist I think- that was a 2-masted "ship". It was nicely done, and if it were not for the 2 people in the boat, you'd be hard pressed to know the size of it.

There was a "new" pirate ship made in 2011 by a company in Chrisfield, MD, probably one of those tourist boats. I say go for it. I'm chasing a dream and am making a cannon, mostly for salute use, but it's a thing I've wanted to do.... Can't you have one cannon on yours? I mean, there are a number of power boats out there:)

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Yesterday I was on the freeway and exiting next to a nice newish Mercedes with 2 flags flying, one on each window......American flag to port and a pirate flag to starboard. I immediately knew that 1. it would be an old guy 2. he would have a dog in the front seat, bobbing around 3. he would be irritated at my passing him and 4. he would be unaware of the merging lane ahead, just as it narrowed into a tunnel......... and I was correct. I'm not saying I might not have liked the guy outside of this circumstance but he gave lots of clues about himself.

That said, this is in California, in Southern California to be exact ... and we have Da Woody that drives around in the harbor and in the open ocean taking photos of boat races, so go figure.......

If you do it, do it well and have fun, eventually most will enjoy seeing you..;)

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Aw shucks, go have some fun. You'll know soon enough if it works for you.

Your boat, your choice. (Thanks for the opportunity to use that phrase...:):):))

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
Many years ago, a friend had a Chinese Junk birthed in LA Harbor. All it would have taken is a few cannons and a skull and cross-bone flag and it would have passed as a pirate ship. Lots of folks chased him down just to tell him how neat it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.