pictures of S2 8b interior

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
could anyone post pictures of the interior starboard aft end of seats area @ the quarter berth w/ cushions removed? Also any detail of shelves above stove-sink area? I have a "basket case" w/ lots of parts but lots of missing parts also. Thank you

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Thank you Will. I'll have to cut and fit. This boat started as I wanted to replace my Oday 222 and went with the 8m . I wanted a boat w/ a sail area I could handle myself, a hull that had good performance, a capsize rating under 2, stand up headroom (over 5'8"), and of course affordable. Yes, the sides are high but after stuck in my 222 s' cabin for two days waiting out a storm I wanted a boat I could stand up in to put my pants on so I will live with the sides. Last on the list was a head. My wife hates the under the berth setup of the 222. There were other boats on my list but this one became available. The P.O. had gutted it without much reference for reassembly and lost interest. It's so hard to realize how many hours it takes. I've now gell coated the hull, added structure to the keel, bulkheads, chainplates, deck, and stern. Embedded the ballast, replaced and lowered the floor 2" and now tabbing in the interior. There are so many hours and hours of details as almost all parts have to be altered as the shape or dimension of the place it needs to attach to has changed. The point I want to make is that anyone that is starting needs to keep it simple. Buy something that can be used without much work to make it safe and usable. Use it! Get to know it. Then you will know if its worth the terrible job to replace the stained monkey fur on the hull. But you'll get thru it because now it is your baby and cannot be abandoned.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@mm2347 I can feel your pain. Buying an old boat is not a pleasure trip.

It starts out all warm and fuzzy but quickly can have you pulling your hair out (My wife occasionally comments about my loss of hair. I tell her it is not her it is my mistress.) The Previous owner sold her to you after all.

Once you get a boat you either use it up or you dress it up.

I got my baby in February of 2015. We played together. But, I soon learned that if I wanted to keep playing I would need to make some changes.

So like you I started into the process. I often remind my self "You can not make a silk purse out of a sows ear". My boat will never be selected as "BOAT OF THE YEAR" at the boat show.

She will take me to places of unbelievable beauty...
Sunrise departure Port Browning.JPG

and help keep my blood pressure in line by releasing the stress of too many office days of SNAFU's.

Do what is needed and take her out where she wants to be... On the water. You can always work a little more in the off season.
May you have luxurious days of sailing in your near future.:biggrin:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
But you'll get thru it because now it is your baby and cannot be abandoned.
Well said. I couldn't agree more. I've gotten myself into a Mariner 19, talk about your lack of headroom, but I have also fallen in love. I want to set her up to take me anywhere for long trips and my wife refuses the idea of a head under where she sleeps. She says she can hang it over the side, so no storage tank. I'm thinking a sealable 5 gal. bucket and a wag bag for those days we have a storm to wait out. She's ok with that as long as it doesn't stay onboard longer than the storm lasts.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Yes, the sides are high but after stuck in my 222 s' cabin for two days waiting out a storm I wanted a boat I could stand up in to put my pants on so I will live with the sides.
You just think the sides are high (lots of freeboard) you should have gotten a C model. We have some windage. After 15 months of slowly working and no money we may get her sailing next month. Sold our O'Day 23 a couple of weeks ago and immediately ordered $4000 worth of stuff for the S2. Now we have everything to complete the project. I just need to get off my ass (get off this forum) and get going.

Attachments

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Ya guys. It amazes me that I am so attached to my 222. As the S2 gets close to competition--make that ready to sail this season, I'm torn between selling or keeping the Oday. I have always valued equipment in terms of use but the damned 222 has become more than good equipment. Is it really worth trading it for a head that has a door and lots of wasted space? There seems to be far more to this sailing thing that meets the eye.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Felt that way about my M15 that I sailed for 18 years. I found her a very good home. She gave me funds to invest into my new second best girl.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Somebody else with a boat project taped a sign to his boat "PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION"! But it sure is easy to dress up something that's special to you.