Picture of chainplate bulkhead replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Ya. There used to be a 6 or maybe an 8 inch wide x 1/4 plywood facing that went the length of the gunwale inside as a finishing moulding to hide the hull to deck joint and the wires running to lights, bow lights, etc. It was covered with whatever hull side material was used (in early Seidelmanns it was herculon fabric and vinyl in later models). This moulding was screwed into those wooden blocks you write of. If you had to get to the nuts on the toe rail, or the life line stanchions, or wires, you could easily remove this length of panel to gain access. It was an easy and inexpensive way of covering that area up. If my description does not give you a good enough visual, let me know and I will send you a drawing.

Seamon

Mar 2, 2010
Seidelman 25s Montréal
I know what you mean, but I removed those "decorative" pieces wood... I didn't ask my question properly, look at the attached pictures to this message. You'll see the old one with 2 screws that was fastening the bulkhead to that stiffner.

Do you think that I can remove those "stiffners" because they are rotten? Considering that my new bulkheads are longuer now

Attachments

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Seamon

Those were added to the deck to avoid having to laminate up side down to the deck. They can be removed if you laminate your new bulkheads directly to the deck.

You must have a very early hull we stopped using them fairly early in production.

Seamon

Mar 2, 2010
Seidelman 25s Montréal
Thank you Surveyor!

I didn't laminate the fibers to the deck (attached pic)... But my bulkheads are much more longer and it must be hard to keep the fiber glued to the deck...

Do you think that I need to laminate to the deck? Guess I can use a fast hardener...

Attachments

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Seamon

I would laminate both sides of the bulkhead to the deck. Also be careful to coat the end grain of the plywood with epoxy. You can use plastic sheet or wax paper over plywood to temporarilay hold the laminate up if necessary, either screwed to the deck or blocked up from the bunk.

Seamon

Mar 2, 2010
Seidelman 25s Montréal
I puted epoxy all over my bulkheads with a brush before installing it, anyways, I didn't have any other choice because I used 3/4" russian birch exterior plywood. It's not a "marine grade" plywood but it is stronger and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.