Picture of 2760-003 Pump Installed on 2QM20

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Aside from Ed Schenck, whose 2QM20 photo I have looked at, (thanks Ed) does anyone have a photo handy of their 2QM20 that might show well the mounting of the 2670-003 belt/pulley driven seawater pump?

I particular, I would like to see the method and orientation of the NPT fittings emanating from the pump to the input and output hoses.

Thanks,

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I can take a picture of the sea water pump on my 3QM30 tomorrow - I imagine it would be the same?

Jun 21, 2007
Jim. Thanks. If not an imposition, would like to see your 3QM30 seawater pump hose connection setup. Don't know if the same as Hunter did for the 2QM's.

rardi

Jun 21, 2007
Tmbj,

Many thanks for the photo. (Jim -- you can cease and desist with your photo!)

I was asking in case I needed to purchase a new pump. If so, I wanted to possibly modify the water hose lead configuration I now have.

I am at my boat now. Just finished installing my Rube Goldberg repaired pump. Seems to actually be working. 10 minutes running and the weep-hole is as dry as a bone.

Attach is a picture of my hose lead configuration. Different than yours on the input side. My guess is that at some point in the boat's history, the hose rubbed against the flywheel. Hence the extension.

Attachments

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Glad to be able to help you for once - and to hear that your fix is working. Who knows maybe that'll do it for a while. Good luck with it.

Interesting re your hoses. The way mine run I don't think there's much chance of them contacting anything that moves. I may have modified their configuration when I got the boat as I had to do some work on the pump and replace the nose from the raw water filter. Maybe that helped. I can't remember.

Hope you get some sailing in this weekend. I'm jealous. I'm out of the water still and probably will be for four or five weeks. Currently focused on installing a new propshaft, aligning the strut (thanks for your past input re that) etc. Unfortunately I've discovered in the process that I think I probably need at least one new engine mount - meaning I need to replace all. After some back and forth, research etc it looks like my engine is mounted with Bushings DF-2205-2 rather than Yanmar's. This took me by surprise but since Bushing's are about 1/3 the price of Yanmar's and given the complication of changing to them I'm pretty certain I'm going to go with the Bushing's.

Good luck again with the pump. Enjoy sailing.

Jun 21, 2007
TMJB:

Thanks. Always appreciate the exchange of info about our boats.

No, unfortunately no sailing any time soon. Family issues at several generational levels interfere. Plus my attempt at inside jib t-track install has been more complicated than anticipated.

So far, my engine mounts haven't been an issue. But I am always looking at them! One aspect about my sailing on SF Bay is that engine run time is generally about 10-15 minutes out. And about the same minutes in. So if something isn't quite right, its not the same as for a lot of mid/large boat owners that need to use the engine for many many hours each outing.

Further re the mounts: Gosh over the years I have read many many times how important it is that we only replace with Yanmar certified $'s inflated items. Somehow I think "hogwash". Are other manufacturer's products, and those with high quality credentials at that, going to cause our engines to go ballistic? Compared to mine which are +20 years old and still working OK?

I will make my decision when the time comes!

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Rardi - sorry, I got tied up yesterday and didn't get down to the boat for a photo op...but my salt water pump looks exactly like tmjb's. On the subject of engine mounts, I replaced mine with non-Yanmar ones and so far, ten years on, the engine hasn't jumped out of the boat. The important thing is to get them spec'ed for engine weight. I used R&D mounts, but I can't recall which model I used (would have to go back in the records).

Jun 21, 2007
Jim:

Appreciate the comments about replacement engine mounts. Although I don't think I am yet ready to replace mine, the info prompted me to do an internet search for R&D mounts. The following regarding weight calculations showed up on one R&D reseller's site. Takes a lot of the mystery out of wizardry!
===================================================
How To Select (details required):
1.Define the total weight of the engine and the transmission.
2.Determine 60% of the total weight and then divide by 2 to determine the capacity of each of the rear mounts (the mounts on the tranmission side of the engine).
3.Determine 40% of the total weight and then divide by 2 to determine the capacity of each of the front mounts (the mounts opposite the tranmission side of the engine).
4.Determine the stud necessary stud diameter and footprint of the mount.
5.Choose mount most appropriately sized for the per mount weight. When possible, choose the mount nearest the middle of the weight range.

Example:
Engine weight is 480lbs., transmission weight is 110lbs., footprint is 4" , stud diameter is 5/8".
Total weight is 590lbs.
590 x .6 / 2 = 177 lbs per rear mount. Mounts required are 800-010
590 x .4 / 2 = 118 lbs per front mount. Mounts required are 800-037