pics or specs on lifting strap/eye bolt plate

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
JEPomer said:
jerrymlewis said:
Thanks JEPomer, but that is the size I know is used for the eye BOLT that goes into the plate that straddles the two aft keel bolts.

I am asking what is the diameter and threads for the keel bolts themselves so that I can install two EYE NUTS on the existing keel bolts (after removing the nuts) and using them to lift the boat, sharing the weight between the two eye nuts. I remember them being much smaller than the 1" x 8 that is used for the eye bolt/plate combo.

Jerry
Jerry,

On my boat (1988, 281) the keel bolts are 1"-8. It is possible that yours may be different.

John
The boats in our fleet use this eyebolt with a 1/2x13 thread
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KEN-FO ... -Nut-3ZHF4

Patrick

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
My boat will come out of the water next weekend. I will check again. The last time I looked was in the Spring.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-22 Carlyle / Carlyle Sailing Association, Carlyle IL
This is what I am using:

$38 at mauriprosailing.com
WIC6361 - Wichard Eye Nut – ½ in. – 1-1/16 in. dia.
It is stainless steel and it has a breaking load of 15550.

$35.80 at apsltd.com
SECEE2102X5 Lifting Strap, 2 Diameter x 5’
It can be found under the one design section for a J22 Accessories.
It has a 6400lbs vertical load rating.

Then I bought a couple shackles and a hook at Tractor Supply and use some extra line I had. I have a MkII so my bilge is a little different than the MkI but I think they will work about the same.

Attachments

Jul 9, 2013
Many thanks for the pics! I plan to do the exact, except attach two eye nuts on the two rear-most keel bolts and use two straps for redundancy (as suggested by Patrick and the Minnesota folks).

And I like the stainless companionway hatch holders (sorry, cannot remember what they are officially called). I have had to replace my 1985 ones, but did so with oak using the old one as template.

Jerry

Jul 9, 2013
Some more advice please:

What length lifting strap is best? Do I want the hoist hook to attach at hatch level? Or above or below hatch level and by how much?

The latest pics posted use a 5' long strap and that appears to be at least a foot longer than necessary to avoid the lateral lines from the cabin top winches from hitting the cabin top itself. It looks like 4' and 5' and 6' would all work.

What's the most common on here?

Thanks,
Jerry

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
jerrymlewis said:
Some more advice please:

What length lifting strap is best? Do I want the hoist hook to attach at hatch level? Or above or below hatch level and by how much?

The latest pics posted use a 5' long strap and that appears to be at least a foot longer than necessary to avoid the lateral lines from the cabin top winches from hitting the cabin top itself. It looks like 4' and 5' and 6' would all work.

What's the most common on here?

Thanks,
Jerry
I've seen people above, at, and below the hatch. We are just below. I don't think it matters too much.

Jul 9, 2013
John Sullivan,

Did you try different keel bolts to see if there was any 'bow down/stern down' difference in centering the weight of the boat?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-22 Carlyle / Carlyle Sailing Association, Carlyle IL
jerrymlewis said:
John Sullivan,

Did you try different keel bolts to see if there was any 'bow down/stern down' difference in centering the weight of the boat?

Thanks,
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

No. My boat is stern heavy so I only use the aft most bolt.

Best regards,
-John Sullivan

Jul 9, 2013
I think most of them are stern heavy as the manual even mentions connecting lines through the scuppers to help hold it level (actually a bit bow down so the mast is ahead of the crane).

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
pgudat said:
JEPomer said:
jerrymlewis said:
Thanks JEPomer, but that is the size I know is used for the eye BOLT that goes into the plate that straddles the two aft keel bolts.

I am asking what is the diameter and threads for the keel bolts themselves so that I can install two EYE NUTS on the existing keel bolts (after removing the nuts) and using them to lift the boat, sharing the weight between the two eye nuts. I remember them being much smaller than the 1" x 8 that is used for the eye bolt/plate combo.

Jerry
Jerry,

On my boat (1988, 281) the keel bolts are 1"-8. It is possible that yours may be different.

John
The boats in our fleet use this eyebolt with a 1/2x13 thread

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KEN-FO ... -Nut-3ZHF4

Patrick

My boat came out of the water really late this year. I finally did check the diameter of the keel bolts. They are indeed 1/2" - The lifting strap/eye bolt plate drawing also clearly specified the keel bolt clearance to be 0.515".

I also saw a video of a Capri 22 being demonstrated at a boat show. The dealer was saying that particular boat was going to have the traveler moved forward to the companionway and change it to mid-boom sheeting. That would go a long ways to get around my wife's only complaint that the mid-cockpit location is very inconvenient for her short legs...

Jul 9, 2013
Well, I have finally gotten around to installing the eye nuts and lifting straps. I bought two 1/2" - 8 eye nuts that fit perfectly on the Keel bolts. And the two 6' long 2-ply 2" straps (rated at 6400 pounds) should give me the insurance to feel good about lifting my fin keel Capri 22 off the trailer.

But I am very surprised to find that even the most aft Keel bolt is forward of vertical to the rear of the cabin top. I was planning to use the two rear bolts with attached eye nuts to connect two straps to the hoist hook. Now it seems that the straps will be pushing hard against the cabintop to the point it might damage the cabintop.

My question: do the lines shown in some of the pictures that run to the winches and stern cleats pull the straps rearward and away from the cabintop edge, bringing the center of lifting effort aft?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jul 9, 2013
How far back do you have to pull the lifting strap to have a balanced lift with the hoist? Right now, without any lines holding it amidships laterally or lines aft pulling the strap rearward, my strap will hit the back edge of the open cabin top. Do you put the aft line on the genoa winches and crank back until you get the fore/aft balance set (and then mark the lines)?

Thanks,
Jerry

Oct 29, 2017
Catalina Capri 22 Capri 22 155 San Diego, CA
I finally did it! Hoisted Kudzu into the San Diego bay using the hoist at Southwestern Yacht Club. I used two eye nuts on the aft keel bolts and two 6' straps. I matched the 'center point' of the straps left/right/fore/aft to those pictured, but that proved to be very bow heavy. I let the center of effort move forward to just over the front edge of the ice chest and that gave Kudzu a slight 10 degree bow down angle. Lifted off the trailer, no squeaking or gnashing sounds so moved the trailer and swung the boat over the bay, let it down, raced all day. Hoisting out was easier now that I had the fore/aft location for the bridles to all four winches.

HoistAttachment.JPG
Hoist-hanging2.JPG
Hoist-hanging.JPG
Hoist-floating.JPG
HalloweenRegatta.JPG

Jul 9, 2013
Wichard WIC6361 is now $41 (I got mine mid-summer for $38), MWL 15,500 lbs.

West Marine list price is $79 for the same exact eye nut. shop around.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
When I lived in San Diego, I routinely hoisted my Catalina-22 MK-II while a member of the Mission Bay Yacht Club, My MK-II C-22 used the same wing keel as the Capri-22. Some came with a 1" stud molded into the keel at the factory, some didn't. My 2002 MK-II didn't, where my 2006 MK-II did. I simply copied the lifting harness that I copied from the capri-22's in the club. I had a local rigging shop down in National City make up the lifting line, and I used two 3/8" lines to the ballance the boat side to side, and a longer 3/4" line through the transom scuppers to support the rear. No need for an eye nut with a SWL of 15K, the boat only weighs less than a third of that.
C-22 MK-II Keel Sump.jpg

1" stud on my 2006 C-22 MK-II with a Capri-22 Wing Keel
KEEL LIFT PLATE 02.jpg

Lifting plate that sisters the center 4 keel bolts on my 2002 C-22 MK-II with a Capri-22 wing keel.

KEEL LIFT PLATE 05.jpg

Lifting plate ready to tighten the mounting bolts

KEEL LIFT PLATE 07.jpg

Lifting harness installed, crane is at the Mission Bay Yacht Club

KEEL LIFT PLATE 09.jpg

Lifting harness fits nicely in the keel sump
CAPRI 071.JPG

My Capri-18 had a 1" stud set in the keel. I simply copied the Capri-22 lifting harness with a galvanized eye screwed on the stud. No need to get so carried away, talk with a rigging shop used in the construction trades.