Picking up our H23 this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Finally my schedule, the wifes schedule and the weather are all cooperating to allow us to travel from southern Ohio to NY to pick up my 87 Hunter 23. I first looked at her over a year ago while on a vacation. The asking price was a tad high for the fair condition she was in, not to mention snow and ice covered.

I stayed in touch with the owner and we agreed on a lower price. Tomorrow is travel day to NY and we'll pick her up Saturday morning. If you see a dark green Dodge Ram towing a dirty H23 west across Pennsylvania it'll be me and my new bride! I'll post photos soon!

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Congratulations! We love our '86 H23. Was an exciting time bringing her home. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Kermit

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
What's your route Fly? Maybe you will be coming through Akron and can stop and show her off. We are right on I-77 near the airport. That would be the perfect boat for where I sail my Highlander.

(Missed my chance didn't I? You are already on the road. Darn.)

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
@Ed, we live in southern Ohio near the WV border. Maybe I'll get to drag her up the the big lake someday?

Jun 4, 2011
Hunter 23 Mactaquac Sail Marina
That is awesome Fly, we just picked up our 1987 H23 in Maine last month, can hardly wait to get her in the water. It's been a dream of mine since I was 16 years old and sailed once on a lake, and now it's coming true. Ours needed some TLC but we have been working diligently for a month now and finally next friday get to put her in the water. I am very excited I can't wait, I feel like a kid in a candy store! Happy sailing :)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
So you are probably going up I-79. My Highlander is much closer than Lake Erie, little lake called Atwood which is forty minutes south of Akron. A friend's H22 there made me realize how nice a small boat's layout can be.

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 27 Cave Run Lake, Morehead,KY
Cave Run Lake

Hope to see you once you get the boat over to Cave Run. We sail a 1990 Hunter 27 there. We live in St. Albans, WV.

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
Have fun...

...with your H23 Sir.
Not wanting to be a buzz-kill - maybe a quick check of the bearings before blasting off.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
MABell said:
...with your H23 Sir.
Not wanting to be a buzz-kill - maybe a quick check of the bearings before blasting off.
For sure, we've got grease, new tires/rims and a jack ready to go. It will look like a NASCAR pitstop when we get there!

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
Now that you have supplied a picture, it's official :)

From what I can see in the picture, it looks like she has been kept in pretty good shape.. even the vinyl stripes look great. Good find.. I'm sure you will have a great time with her. Welcome to the small but fantastic band of H23 owners here!

Cheers,
Brad

Jul 15, 2009
Hunter 23 Erie, PA
Congrats on your purchase. We have had an H23 for 20 years and absolutely love it. In fact, we find that sailing the 23 gets more fun over the years as we discover it's real abilities on the water. It is safe, fast, especially in light winds, and exciting in heavy air. We sail on lake Erie.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Thanks! I'll get her cleaned up and fix all the common little issues I've heard about and hopefully be sailing by 4th of July.

It was nice of the seller to include a 9.9 hp Mariner outboard w/ electric start!

Mar 13, 2011
Seaward Fox 19 Lakeview, Ohio
Congratulations! We just got our 235 in April and just got her in the water last week. You are going to love it. The room! The comfort! Just a nice all around boat. We looked over all the options out there for a few years and finally decided the Hunter 235 was the one for us. First sail was a dream. We're putting in the stereo this weekend. Have to have our Gordon Lightfoot songs going. Well, fair winds and following seas!

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Thanks all for the kind words. We arrived home safely with no issues other than the high fuel cost for the round trip. Towing 630 miles over the appalachain mountains was scenic but costly in our Dodge Ram, averaged about 14 mpg.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
We are about to put her in water finally! Between the hot summer and lots of small things to fix, this weekend is going to be fun. More photos soon!

Jun 4, 2011
Hunter 23 Mactaquac Sail Marina
We have had a blast sailing this summer, learning so much, I wish we would have done this 20 years ago! Hope the weather is great for you and you have a great weekend :)

Kivalo

Jun 5, 2011
Hunter 260 Owasco Lake
Finally my schedule, the wifes schedule and the weather are all cooperating to allow us to travel from southern Ohio to NY to pick up my 87 Hunter 23. I first looked at her over a year ago while on a vacation. The asking price was a tad high for the fair condition she was in, not to mention snow and ice covered.

I stayed in touch with the owner and we agreed on a lower price. Tomorrow is travel day to NY and we'll pick her up Saturday morning. If you see a dark green Dodge Ram towing a dirty H23 west across Pennsylvania it'll be me and my new bride! I'll post photos soon!
What part of NY do you travel to?

Status
Not open for further replies.