PHRF Rating H41 DS

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
Does anyone know what the PHRF rating is for a H41 DS. I was in my first event this weekend and we came in second. They gave me a PHRF number of 117. The H45 that finished 20 second ahead of us had a rating of 144 and he had laminated racing sails. Does this make sense? Cruising class, non spin, conventional rig.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
The SoCal rating for my 40.5 is 102. A 410 rates 118. These do not include a non-spinnaker offset (15). However, these will vary by region and local PHRF committees. The 410 is as close as I could find to the DS, but may give you an idea.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Look here:
These are base. There are corrections for fixed prop, largest headsail carried (But not material), and some other factors. The ratings are not rule derived. They are based on experience of performance which has a lot to do with waterline length.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Looking at some other area PHRF ratings for a H41 DS SD (I assume shoal draft) the number of PHRF rating of 132 seems to keep popping up. Don't know where your club got 117. Maybe they think you're a "ringer" and needed to ding you a little. :( I am sure @Jackdaw can give you some relevant info on why a 45 foot Hunter (longer waterline) with laminate sails would have a higher PHRF handicap than a H41 with probably Dacron sails. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the owner of the 45 has some dirt on the race committe or brought the right kind of Scotch to the rating committee ;)

I don't race but my 40.5 (wing keel, dacron sails, non-spinnaker cruising class, 3 blade feathering prop) generally has a PHRF of 120 in the Charleston ratings. That looks pretty consistant with @Rick D number of 102 plus the 15 non-spinnaker (117 total).

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
First, what PHRF fleet are you in? That might go a long way to see whats what. Its interesting that according to US Sailing, both the 40DS and the H40 have ratings of 111 in Mid-Atlantic. Thats a spin rating of course.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 7.24.51 PM.png

Props and headsail size can factor in PHRF ratings and might explain the difference. Sometimes roller furling. Some PHRF boards give credit for dacron sails, but that rare. PHRF is observed performance model, so in the absence of observation they just guess. In general, the practice is to give new boats a more punitive rating, thinking that a bad (low) rating effects only one boat. A bad (high) rating effects everone.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
While no rating system is totally fair I have to say that in looking over results for our local PHRF fleet the order of places is about right. That means the boats finish in roughy the order of their waterline length and correct out to something close to even. PHRF is reasonably valid in rating different boats. Other rating methods such as measurement based ratings probably do better but they are most useful for similar boats. Not a bad thing - just not for club level. One design is a whole other world. I was amazed that, at events here at Martin County Sailing Center, how many vendors came to sell gear. And also amazed at the spending going on. Kids were great! Parents less so.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I race from time to time with my h41, roller furling mast and skoal draft, we use the 114 rating. if you have not a folding prop and clean bottom there is no way to beat others boats. this sailboat going up to the wind with the SD and rfm is a PITA. You must use an assymetric downwind.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
remember all phrf ratings are made for a up wind down wind regatta. if your race is only going one way some sailboat will perform much better than others. flat bottom, wide and short keel you do not want to race upwind.