PHRF Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
I have a Lancer 28, I would like to do a little racing, but I dont belong to a club. How can I get a PHRF rating certificate. Thanks for a good idea.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
No club needed

Depending on where you are, you should be able to get a PHRF. The Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association gives them out for $35.00 a year and that includes membership in the association. Quite a deal, even if they can't give out an accurate number for the Pearson 31, but I digress about that cad.

http://www.chesapeakesailing.net/cgi-bin/phrf/phrf_form.cfm

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Yes, if you want to belong to PHRF in southern California, you must belong to a club that is affiliated with SCYA, the Southern California Yachting Association. However, it isn't necessary to join a full-service yacht club. SCYA has many relatively inexpensive boating clubs and paper yacht clubs that you could join to have PHRF access. See the list at: http://www.scya.org/ The site for SoCal's PHRF is: http://www.phrfsocal.org/howtojoin/howtojoin.php

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Yes, if you want to belong to PHRF in southern California, you must belong to a club that is affiliated with SCYA, the Southern California Yachting Association.
That seems a little silly. When racing is at an all time low, why restrict it to YC members only? Even if it is not difficult to join one, why add the extra step?

We do everything we can to get more boats into races, including giving out provisional certificates for one time racers.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
The club thing is a leftover from the old days as i believe it use to be that way on LIS when it was pretty rare to be racing and not belong to a club

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Find out when the Ventura Yacht Club meets and stick your head in the door. They won't bite. Great folks. There are other Clubs in you area which probably have reasonable dues and you will get back a lot more than you pay in. Also see if there is a Lancer 28 association in your area. What a lot of people don't realize is that a lot of clubs have reciprocal priveleges which allow members from other clubs to use their facilities. I was a member of the San Fernando Valley Yacht Club for years before I moved to Nevada and became a member of the Nevada Yacht Club. They are commonly known as "Paper" clubs because they don't own a club house and the dues are pretty reasonable. Contact the SCYA and they can probably help you find a club that fills the bill. Fair winds from Past Commodore NYC PHRF 57806.:)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That seems a little silly. When racing is at an all time low, why restrict it to YC members only? Even if it is not difficult to join one, why add the extra step?

We do everything we can to get more boats into races, including giving out provisional certificates for one time racers.
Who do you think organizes, sponsors and administers the various races in a pariticular region? The clubs.... and they choose phrf standards to level the playing field. The reason the paper clubs exist is to provide access to all the events by all sailors. $35/year... that's less than you spend in the marina bar after a day of sailing.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
Her to get one you do have to join the YRALIS for $45 + PHRF $45 + $50 US SAILING and then pay extra for a entry fee if you not a club member :)

And the local paper club is pretty dam snotty about membership right down to having to get voted on ;)

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Who do you think organizes, sponsors and administers the various races in a pariticular region? The clubs.... and they choose phrf standards to level the playing field. The reason the paper clubs exist is to provide access to all the events by all sailors. $35/year... that's less than you spend in the marina bar after a day of sailing.
I get that. I have organized and run a few regattas. But why try to make it seem exclusive(when it is not) and force people to pay extra if they only want to enter a single race. I am sure that this discourages many sailors from entering regattas.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
PHRF racing

I agree with the concern over paying a USYRU membership, a club membership and paying to get a PHRF certificate if you are not into serrious racing. I have found 'crusing class' races in major regattas and don't mind entering that way. After several first place finishes, I was once asked by the race committee to race in the PHRF 'B' class but declined. My reasoning was that if I didn't have a valid PHRF certificate, I could likely be protested if I finished ahead of someone who carried all the memberships and a valid certificate. As it happened, I did finish 1st in 'cruising 'B' and my corrected time was ahead of all but one of the PHRF non-spinnaker boats.

There have been several 'benefit' races such as the Leukemia Cup or Epilepsy foundation Cup that include cruising class boats, and you know you'd be out there for a good cause.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Options...

... I agree that for first-timers, a PHRF certificate and membership is overkill. In this area (SoCal), there are plenty of regattas that have open cruising class entries which do not require a PHRF number or YC membership. However, once one has participated in a number of those, it's time to step up to the plate and contribute to the organization that does all the data collection and organization so that you can have the freebies (IMHO). It's a natural progression.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Up here, one reason you need to be a member of a recognised club is for insurance (that's what I was told - not sure of the details...). Belonging to a YC automatically joins you to VARC(? Or maybe CYA...). Anyway, I joined SLYC and they're a great bunch of people, with pub nights and cruises as well as racing. TCYC is another low-cost YC with the cameraderie and racing without the snootiness.

druid - doesn't own white pants OR blue blazer

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Form your own group, 3 to 5 boats can get together for informal racing. Use the "jack rabit" start and everyone gets to race. (The "rabbit" sails close hauled across the course and the others cross his stern. When the last boat crosses the rabbit's stern the race has started.) Take your own times at the finish and sort out the race results over a beer at a favorite pub and set the date for the next race. Monthly meetings in one of the group's house can keep things organized and is fun in itself. No dues no fees. Others willl soon notice and ask to join. Pretty soon it will grow by itself and become more formalized. Continue this path or start anew, it's your choice.
That's what we did 40 years ago and are now 250 strong, have $40/yr dues and $35/yr race fees ( monthly cruises are free) for about 40 events per year and have to rent meeting facilities to contain everybody. See <SSSScllub.com> It has remained a very friendly group and very definitely not a "Yacht Club", hence the name "South Sound Sailing Society" located in Olympia, Washington.
FWIW, Geohan

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I agree with the concern over paying a USYRU membership, a club membership and paying to get a PHRF certificate if you are not into serrious racing. I have found 'crusing class' races in major regattas and don't mind entering that way. After several first place finishes, I was once asked by the race committee to race in the PHRF 'B' class but declined. My reasoning was that if I didn't have a valid PHRF certificate, I could likely be protested if I finished ahead of someone who carried all the memberships and a valid certificate. As it happened, I did finish 1st in 'cruising 'B' and my corrected time was ahead of all but one of the PHRF non-spinnaker boats.

There have been several 'benefit' races such as the Leukemia Cup or Epilepsy foundation Cup that include cruising class boats, and you know you'd be out there for a good cause.
So... you finish first in all these no certificate races... but don't want to get a certificate to race with more serious competitors... what's your point? You said you're not a serious competitor but go to great length to tell us how much better racer you are than PHRF racers. Sounds to me like you're just cheap.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
If I can find it I will post a poem by Gil Buffery, Commodore emeritus SFVYC, entitled "A Ten Buck Trophy Must Be Won." It is priceless. Once you start competitive racing it will get into your blood. Cruising around is great, but racing will hone you sailing skills and will also get you some new friends and sporting rivals. I never race just to win, but to gain a little knowledge. I have a box full of dusty trophies and lots of memories. The picture I posted on my profile is of my yacht Freedom in the SCYA midwinter regatta off Marina Del Rey in 1977. (A yacht is the way you describe your boat to someone who will likely never see it.) Every dollar you spend on a membership will come back three fold. Pardon the pun, but get your feet wet. Fair winds...;)

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
... However, once one has participated in a number of those, it's time to step up to the plate and contribute to the organization that does all the data collection and organization so that you can have the freebies (IMHO). It's a natural progression.
Rick, that is called an entry fee. And most well run regattas make money so the YCs that do the organizing and run the regatta are not hurting for more money.

We did a Regatta a couple of weeks ago. The enrty fee was reasonable, no PHRF required although most had one, free continental breakfast and brunch for all participants and we made $1,000 with only 13 boats entered. And our trophies are high quality engraved pewter dishes. The key is getting sponsors which is fairly easy.

The requirement for YC membership is simply not needed.

We have the opposite problem here in that our YC has non racers and power boaters that do not want any of their fees going towards racing activities.

Gail R

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson 34 Freeport, ME
To get a PHRF cert in Maine, you need to join the Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Association. Total cost is $50 and the money is split between PHRF New England and GMORA (shamefully, I can't remember who gets how much). The GMORA dues help to offset the cost of the annual banquet and season trophies.

But most clubs in our area don't even require a cert to race, or if they do, as TimR explained, you can get a provisional cert good for one race at no cost.

I don't find the cert fee at all unreasonable, and if you participate at all, you get more than you put in.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
At The Quantico Yacht Club ...

We do not require you to be a member of a club here in Quantico, Va. In fact we go out of our way to get everyone to race. In fact, our Frostbite Regatta is on the 16th of October. Show up and mention my name and we will let you race and even stay after for the chili competition.

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
Pay $40 for a seven race series and you are automatically a member of the Lake Murray Yacht Racing Association. A PHRF is assigned to you at no additional cost. The $40 goes for maintaining a pontoon boat and for nice wood plaque trophies. Nobody cares whether you are a yacht club member, have a mansion on the water, or are a trailer sailor.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
Racing should be so cheep

Here to race J24 in local one design and open racing for the summer

45 PHRF
50 YRA
50 US Sailing
65 J24 class
220 summer series (10 X 1 hour race)

CALL ME CHEEP But its real easy to drop in the 700 dollar range on local entry fees

We took a pass on some of the local race weeks this year on the 35' boat because the total cost was well into 5K range

Status
Not open for further replies.