PHRF adjustments

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Our club is talking about making adjustments to PHRF handicaps to include a credit for boats that use dacron sails exclusively. The other thought is giving a penalty to boats that use high tech materials such a carbon. Do any of your clubs make such an adjustment? If so, how many seconds per mile?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
PHRF of the Chesapeake gives an adjustment for roller furling headsails. They only apply it if the sail is woven (generally meaning Dacron) or if it has a taffeta and UV cloth on the luff and foot. Outside of the roller furling credit there’s no other distinction for laminate or other high tech sails vs Dacron.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
PHRF of Eastern Long Island used to do the credit for dacron. Also for rolling furling. I'm not sure they do anymore. The furler credit doesn't make much sense in today's world. Furling used to imply a cruising boat. That went out with the j-80 if not sooner. I don't know about the dacron. There's some many materials and hybrids it seems like an enforcement problem. There's a good thread debate lurking there. Don't want to hijack this one.
Here is a link to their PHRF application. The furling is on there to my surprise. Nothing about sail material that I saw.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Our club at one point made adjustments based on earlier results. I ended up getting about 30 seconds added to my rating for club races. It made winning more difficult, but didn't stop us. After a season or two it was dropped. Applying it to each boat in the fleet was too complicated, and, essentially, unfair, since it rated the skipper's results rather than the boat's capabilities. Penalizing good skippers is not good for turnout or for improving skills. If your club wants to "adjust" ratings for Dacron sails, it can indicate this in the sailing instructions. How much are Dacron sails worth? +6? Are they REALLY baggy? +9 ? Are they so old/bad that the sailmaker is out of business? + 12? If you think it will make racing fairer and boost participation, it could be a good idea. But it is a slippery slope.

p.s.: PHRF ratings are supposed to be based on boats that are "race-ready": good sails, clean bottom, proper equipment, crews and skippers who know what they're doing. Are boats in your fleet "race-ready"? Are their bottoms clean? Perhaps ratings should be adjusted based on the last time the bottom was washed, along with the Dacron sails. Our sails are Pentex. (Dupont no longer makes Dacron.) Does that count? Slippery...

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Doesn't really pass the simplicity test. Not really criticizing but there's a lot of room for disputes there. It seems to me that good rules prevent disputes - not cause them. I'll admit trying to find fairness is a challenge.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
These sails are “Dacron” but hardly “low tech” :)

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

My club does not adjust ratings for sail material. How would that work anyway? Brand new Dacron sails would probably work better than 5 year old laminate sails.

The point of handicap racing is to level the field for different types of boats. Not to adjust for how the different boats are equipped. To be competitive, you need to have good quality gear and a well prepared boat. If you are not going to have good sails then you are not going to be competitive in 'serious' racing.

Barry

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Our area gives credits (not adjustments) for cruising type sails. Single headsail, roller furling, woven material with fabric leech cover and 2% foot roach +6 seconds/mile. Limited sail inventory, roller furling 2 headsails any material with 2% foot roach. Second sail not to exceed 105%. +3 seconds/mile. The thinking is that most boats racing have sail inventories commensurate with the class they are racing in. The credit is a way for cruisers to use their existing inventory but does not really reflect the actual performance difference in all conditions or courses. It would be impossible to rate actual sail performances. An example, I bought a new main last year. Size 13.75 x 38.5. I got prices anywhere from $5,500 to $2,000. I will bet you the 3Di raw main is at least 3-6 sec/mi faster than the crosscut Contender Aramid Max sail that I bought for less than half the price of the 3DI. My racing is not at the Grand Prix level so I can live with the lower performing sail.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This should only happen in cruising class. PHRF actually has NO way to do this fairly. Wanna truly race? Pony up. If not, sail in cruising class and pick up your participation trophy.