• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Philadelphia

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Heart of Gold, Pagan Baby Baltimore
Thinking about possible destinations for next summer and am intrigued by the idea of visiting Philly by boat. I’d be going from the Patapsco River (outside Baltimore) through the C&D and then up the Delaware River. I’ve been down to Cape May and back but never further up the Delaware then the C&D. Anyone have any local knowledge of the upper Delaware they’d care to share. I figure it would be mostly motoring with lots of commercial traffic to keep me company.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I too am fascinated by river and canal travel. I think I'll tag along. Sorry I can't contribute more to this journey.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
IIRC, the cruising guide says it is 39 miles from the C&D to Philly. /// . From Ft McHenry it says 45 miles to C&D / Chesapeake City.. Get to the marina at Chesapeake city or the one on the north shore, stay overnight and top off or pump out. Leave early in the A.M. Catch the DE Bay incoming tide.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I have been looking into a similar trip, but not as far north as Philly. Old New Castle would be my destination. There is this old, original tavern (Jessop's) that is just the perfect reason for a boat trip. The local knowledge I have acquired so far is that there is a lot of current, no good places to anchor, dirty/nasty water and lots of commercial traffic. Looking at the charts, there are also quite afew underwater bulkheads and other obstacles to watch out for. Not sure its worth the risks for a meal. Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.

Jun 14, 2010
Quorning Dragonfly 1200 home
Are there any good places to dock for a recreational boat in Philadelphia? I’ve been to Penns Landing (by land) and don’t recall seeing any rec boater facilities. It all seems industrial and commercial, from what I’ve seen. There are some private marinas south of Philadelphia outside the city, but I didn’t recall any visitor attractions nearby.

Dec 1, 2018
Catalina 22 Homer NJ , PA
Check dryl.org the site has contact information for many yacht clubs. And local information. Maybe a good place to start.