PFD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
After searching the form and not finding an answer, I decided to ask.

I am taking sailing lessons (Lake Murray), and I am in preperations for buying a boat in the future.
I am looking at purchasing a Mustang PFD that will suit my needs on ebay for a good price (best that i've found anyway). Its a Mustang V MD3082 (man inflate w/harness), "new", from a reliable seller.
My question: How do you tell the manufacture date on something like this. I emailed Mustang with this question, and am awaiting an answer.

My reasoning?? I dont want something "new" thats been sitting on somebodys shelf for 5 years. I dont want to run into a situation like automotive tires manuf 6 years ago, with degraded rubber, but "new".
OR:
I am way overthinking this issue today and its time for a beer?:redface:
Thank you in advance for your time and opinion's.
Rich

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
That is an inflatable, so there isn't much that can deteriorate on it. As long as it's new, and hasn't been left out in the sun, the fabric should be fine. The CO2 cartridge may need to be replaced if it really is old, but you should use that one as soon as you purchase for testing purposes (they recommend testing at the beginning of each season).

Cheers,
Brad

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I don't think that the CO2 cartridge is the issue, but the older ones had a trigger device that needs to be changed every so often.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
yes, the automatic inflate ones have a dissolving "bobbin" that has a life of 2 years, if I remember correctly..The bobbins are not expensive and can be found at outdoors shops that sell the PFD's or through the 'net.. That is not an issue with the manual inflate ones nor the ones that have a pressure sensitive (hydrostatic) inflation device. Those hydrostatic ones are in the $250-$400 range today and are great because if ya get really wet from an boarding wave, they will not inflate like the dissolving bobbin ones might. The dissolving bobbin ones can easily be made to be manual inflate (pull cord) only, for use in reeally wet conditions. I have been occasionally using mine for a few years now and it is still in great shape.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Probably OK

As others said, the firing pin in within the auto-inflate models most often have an aspirin-like insert that keeps the pin from piercing the CO2 cartridge. Easy replacement.

Having said that, one of mine once had the insert dissolved by light moisture which allowed the CO2 cartridge to very slowly evacuate without inflating. Since then I check each unit annually.

BTW, one of my units is over a dozen years old. I have four for guests and one for me.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
Just Bought 2 Mustangs

I bought 2 Mustang 3184's at the Annapolis Boat show. The auto-inflation device has a date stamped right on it that specifies the end of its service life. Mine both read 2015. The vests also have a green indicator that states the inflator is in proper operating condition.

The instructions state to manually inflate the vest every 2 months. That might be a bit of overkill but it is your (or someone close to you) life.

Sep 25, 2008
Bristol 43.3 Perth Amboy
Inflatable PFDs

I have a mustang and a sospenders and am happy with them. The best PFD is the one you will wear.

I prefer the automatic in case of being unconscious.

They do have a limited life due to wear and tear plus UV.

The inflator should be checked each yr with replacement.

Do a 24 hr inflation test to be sure it is OK.
(They are on sale at Defender right now, boat show prices, possibly here too)

May 24, 2007
Beneteau 352 Milwaukee, WI

OR:
I am way overthinking this issue today and its time for a beer?:redface:
Thank you in advance for your time and opinion's.

Rich
Yes, you are overthinking this and it is not an issue.

My only concern would that the PFD is a manual inflation unit. PFD's with integral harness are normally needed when you plan on sailing in conditions that call for being tethered to the boat. Those same conditions tend to throw you overboard with loss of consciousness.

I believe a manual inflation PFD is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
Thank you for the above thoughts and opinions. I emailed Mustang (with the lot number) and had my answer in 3 hours. (GREAT customer service, btw).

Have a great dayl......but above all, be safe. (ER RN, tired of repeat customers..lol)

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
get a spare co2 bottle. they are often hard to find, and not standard for all types.

plus expensive when purchased at a boat yard. cheaper on the web...

Status
Not open for further replies.