PEX and chlorine

Mar 17, 2018
Hunter 40.5 Angra dos Reis
Hello Sailors
I own a Hunter Legend 40.5 1996. It comes with PEX piping. See pic attached.
I've found that chlorine affects PEX piping, but I am unsure if this is the case with all PEX or only the early forms of it.
What is your experience?
How do you disinfect water for those that have PEX plumbing?
20220110_114631.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
What effect have you experienced?

Some PEX fittings and joints were found to be defective resulting in a Class Action litigation settlement requiring replacement in commercial and residential construction. However, the residual level of chlorine in drinking water wont damage it.

• Helpful
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My old polybutylene system is still ok. It is from 1985; I use chlorine in my tanks always. I think if you don’t have the defective stuff, you are probably ok. It really got a bad name from being installed in attic areas where the temperature got crazy hot and cold.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The chlorine bleach solution used to recommission the fresh water tank and plumbing only remains in the system for a few hours before being completely flushed out...not long enough to have even as much impact on plumbing or metal water tanks as carrying municipal chlorinated water. However, adding a little bleach to each fill is not recommended if you have a metal water tank or plumbing that's negatively impacted by chlorine.

--Peggie

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
That's not PEX. Its polybutylene piping. Yes it is susceptible to chlorine.
Above is all you need to know. Does not tolerate concentrated chlorine as in disinfecting water lines.

PEX = cross linked polyethylene.

I've only seen it as translucent plastic but today ................ who knows ?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
What is your experience?
Hi Bouchard, Hunter used 1/2 inch Zurn (Quest) Pex Quicktite brand polybutylene grey plastic hose for the fresh water system on our 1991 P42. It has worked well for us over the years and was trouble free. It is also very reliable when installed correctly. It is my understanding that Hunter uses a different product on newer model boats.

The last time we used Peggie's water system recommissioning process was when we took possession of our boat in 2002. I alternate tanks and to this day the water remains as sweet and clean as right out of the municipal faucet

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
However, adding a little bleach to each fill is not recommended if you have a metal water tank or plumbing that's negatively impacted by chlorine.

--Peggie
Hi peggie,
Due to rotten egg smell from hot water, I recently had to flush and clean the water heater using diluted bleach 1/2 Oz to 5 gallon, then flush. The water heater is aluminum. The manufacturer recommends using 1oz bleach to 50 gallon of water to keep bacteria out. Is that OK considering metal water heater?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Uh-oh... it'srarely if ever bacteria that causes the "rotten egg" odor in hot water....and the last thing you want in it is bleach! In fact, the directions for recommissioning the fresh water system specifically say "Before beginning, turn off the water heater at the breaker and do not turn it on again until the entire recommissioning is complete" (iow, ALL the bleach solution has been flushed out of the system). However, I don't think 1 oz/50 gallon can do any harm, or for that matter any good. 1 gallon is 128 oz...so 50 gal is 6400 oz of water. 1 oz of bleach would be a ratio of 6400:1. You'd get as much benefit from just thinking hard about it! Your .5 oz/5 gallons results in a ratio of 640:1. I suspect you could probly drink that without a harm to your health.

A little "marine water heaters 101" might be useful:

Most marine water heaters have have ANODIZED aluminum tanks. The anodizing wears off over time, resulting in the "rotten egg" odor that's ONLY in the hot water. The only real cure is a new water heater.

Water heaters that have glass lined tanks have a replaceable anode that protects the inside of the tank against corrosion from acids in the water, stray electrical currents, etc. Glass lined tanks, when the water heater is being built, are heated up red hot. Then glass powder is sprayed inside the tank and it adheres upon contact. However, it doesn't cover every single crack and crevice inside the tank - it should, but in actual practice, it doesn't. The purpose of the anode is to protect those spots inside the tank that have not been glass-covered from rusting away prematurely. The anode is eaten away, rather than the tank being eaten away. Kind of a backup to the glass lining.

The anode is a magnesium rod, about 3/4" in diameter that is attached to the inside of the hot water "out" nipple, via a plastic coupling. It is electrically isolated from the fittings and from the tank. It extends all the way across the inside of the tank, stopping just short of the other side. There is an iron rod in the center of the magnesium that supports it, the iron being stronger than the magnesium. As the magnesium is eaten away and the iron rod exposed, there's a chemical reaction between the water, the iron and the magnesium that causes the "rotten egg" smell. Replacing the anode and flushing out the tank will usually make the foul smell go away.

Glass lined water heaters are more expensive than those with metal tanks, but they last upwards of 25 years.

Check out the Raritan water heater (and don't be spooked by the list price!) Raritan Water Heater

--Peggie

Mar 17, 2018
Thank you CHP, I put the pic cause I wasn't sure.
And do you use chlorine on the tanks?
I started using chlorine after I cleaned the tanks for the first time.
By the way, bow and stern tanks don't have inspection hatches, which I had to install.
And water here in my club comes from a reservoir (where I learned today capibaras swim and refresh themselves... )
So aside from changing source now, I have been applying chlorine.
If you see the pic you'll see the nut is cracked.
No pipe has leaked yet. But I am afraid of ruining with chlorine.
Boat is from 1996 I should suppose by then these pipes were made to tolerate chlorine?

Mar 17, 2018
My old polybutylene system is still ok. It is from 1985; I use chlorine in my tanks always. I think if you don’t have the defective stuff, you are probably ok. It really got a bad name from being installed in attic areas where the temperature got crazy hot and cold.
Thank you Kloudie.
And have you been using bleach?

Mar 17, 2018
Thank you Terry
Hi Bouchard, Hunter used 1/2 inch Zurn (Quest) Pex Quicktite brand polybutylene grey plastic hose for the fresh water system on our 1991 P42. It has worked well for us over the years and was trouble free. It is also very reliable when installed correctly. It is my understanding that Hunter uses a different product on newer model boats.

The last time we used Peggie's water system recommissioning process was when we took possession of our boat in 2002. I alternate tanks and to this day the water remains as sweet and clean as right out of the municipal faucet
Thank you, Terry.
And have you been using bleach?

Mar 17, 2018
I had two nuts cracked. No pipes leaking yet.
Not having spares here in Brazil, I fixed them with instant glue and duct tape.
Working good still after over one year...

Attachments