Perko Battery switch use

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Just want to make sure i understand this correctly.
I read main sails detailed description of this switch and thunk i understand that...
It is ok to select another battery while engine is on as long as you do not pass through the off position.
Which physically cannot be done anyway with the unit i have.
Is this correct?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why?

If you start on BOTH, wait til the engine is off, then switch.

An old switch can have bad contacts which could (could, not will) interrupt the alternator output (AO).

Better yet, reread it and move your AO to the house bank, then you can turn your switch OFF and still do no damage to the alternator.

That's the main point of the discussion.

Of course, if you've already moved the AO (you didn't say), then it's NOT an issue.

Did you?

May 24, 2011
I guess sometimes i forget to change from house to all prior to anchor up and underway i notice and think that i need to select both but am unsure about changing while charging.....

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
like Stu said if you wire the alt output wire to the house bank you will not have to worry about when or where you turn the switch to because the power from the alt will always have a home to go to ...this is the simple solution and in my view the best one ......and when under power run your Perko switch in the both position to charge both banks....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
IIRC, perco switches are 'break before make'. If the AO is connected to this type of switch you should not touch the switch while the motor is running.

Better switches like BSS are 'make before break' and are ok to switch as long as you do not pass by OFF (which they allow).

Or get an ACR and be done with it all.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I guess sometimes i forget to change from house to all prior to anchor up and underway i notice and think that i need to select both but am unsure about changing while charging.....
Another sub-plot, if you will, of the entire discussion is that starting (or reserve) banks HARDLY ever need a charge because the power used in starting, while high in current is short in duration. You use up maybe 2-5 ah!!! So, even if you do forget, IT DOESN'T MATTER. Really.

So, keep your boat on your house bank all weekend long, and use your other bank as a reserve, not start bank. Or, forget every once in a while.

Here's another discussion like Maine Sail's with lots of his contributions, too

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6604.0.html

You didn't answer the question, though. :)

May 24, 2011
No, i didnt rewire the AO, but that does sound like a good idea....