perkins versus yanmar diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

Hello owners of Catalina 320, wonder how you like either the Perkins or Yanmar diesels? Interested in hearing about reliability, engine power, etc. I have owned the Universal 18 on my 27' for 10+ years and except for typical maintenance it is great. A bit underpowered in heavy seas/wind.

R

RonD

Yanmar on mine

I have a 2001 C320 with the 27hp Yanmar with a 3-blade prop. Works great, but is very loud (CATALINA -- why can't you just put some noise damping insulation in!). After 3 years of use (142 hrs on the clock) I haven't done anything but regular maintenance (but on that new an engine, I wouldn't expect anything more either.) Under strong headwinds and/or heavy seas the power isn't enough to push at any great speed. I don't think that's attributed to the engine manufacturer -- just the size/HP Catalina selected. They seem to follow the general "5HP per long-ton of displacement" rule.

J

Jim Wolfgram

Yanmar

I've got the Yanmar 3GM30F on mine (Hull 385). It is loud, next project is to increase insulation on the engine box. Service points seem pretty easy to get to with one exception, it seems like it might be a bit difficult to remove the raw water pump impeller. I've got the 3 blad prop and can push the boat at about 6.2kts at 2500 rpm. Pretty satisfactory performance with low fuel consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.