Perkins swap-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pater

The Atomic 4 in my 28CIB was raw water cooled and rusted through. I found a Perkins 4-108 that has fresh watercoling. Everything I've read says it a great engine. Has anyone had experience installing one of these? It looks like I'll have to take out the original bed and make a new one big enough to mount the Perkins on. Never did that before so tips & hints are welcome!

Apr 18, 2007
Jeanneau Sun Oddysey 40.3 Chicago, IL, USA
Only encouragement

Unfortunately I don't have any specific advice to give you. I will say that perhaps that a 4-108 would be oversized for a 28 - they are heavy and powerful and may not be suitable. A 3 cylinder (or smaller?) Yanmar may be more suitable.

That said, I love Perkins diesels. We had a Gulfstar 37 for years and the Perkins was bulletproof - it took all the abuse and just kept running.

Good luck with whatever direction you take!

P

Pater

Thanks for the response, I've been looking for a used 2 or 3 cyl diesel for a year when this perkins popped up so I grabbed it. Thinking that If I couldn't get it in, I'd sell it, while continuing to look.

Jul 29, 2009
Irwin 37 c.c. Cutter indian rocks beach, fl.
I've got one in mine, it sat for years and all i had to do was reinstall the hold down clamps for the injectors and bleed them while cranking and it fired up on about the 10th revolution. the only issues have been from plugged filters due to water in the fuel tank and rust and scale plugging the oil and coolant heat exchangers. since i have cleaned them i haven't had a bit of problems and it has been very dependable. aside from maintenace the only other issue has been the exhaust riser setup that was severly cobbled in by a former owner, which i have since corrected. a reduction gear is indicated, such as a 1:91 or close to that, it had a 2:40 which i am not to sure, but may work better in rough seas. as is will motor at 7 to 8 nauts in smooth water. i would recommend replacing the crankshaft seals and pan and valve cover gaskets before installing in boat. also check seawater impellor and use exchangers in salt water. unless was overhauled might be a good idea to do complete reseal or minor overhaul and replace all hoses, particularily the ones on the right side of engine where oil cooler is installed. flush exchangers or have boiled at machine shop. the only real leak was at the back of the valvecover gasket and was hard to find even though was a very serious leak. good luck and will probably be well worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.