Perkins 4.108 not starting

Mar 2, 2015
Watkins 36CC Clearwater Beach
I was in the midst of selling my boat and on the sea trial the surveyor had me run full throttle on the engine for about 5 minutes. After we brought it back down to normal operation, it starting overheating and oil started leaking out of the valve gasket.

Oil started smoking off the top of the engine and then about 15 minutes later I started smelling an usual smell. I turned off the engine and called a tow boat. We hauled it out and did a maintenance routine and I took a look at the engine. I replaced the valve gasket and took apart the cooling system. I realize there was a missing clamp that allowed coolant to leak out into the raw water system and vice-versa.

We put the boat back into the water and it now won't start. I replaced the starting battery thinking maybe it didn't have enough juice to start. While diagnosing I realized that I heard a hissing sound. It was coming from the coolant tank, I took off the cap and heard a pop which was the tank releasing pressure from me removing the cap. I checked the air and fuel, and I believe the engine is not starting due to not getting the compression it needs. Somehow it's getting into the coolant tank, I believe...

Any ideas or other things I should try? What am I looking at in terms of repairing it? Any help is much appreciated.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Blown head gasket at best, warped or cracked head at worst.....

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Get a coolant system pressure tester. Allows you to pressurize the system and look for leaks with out starting the engine. I'd agree with jsaley, blown head gasket.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
Sorry about your situation. I have never heard of a surveyor doing that. A short burst to WOT to determine over/under propped, would be acceptable. Five minutes is abuse, especially if rpm exceeded max allowable rpm. Might have cost me a sale, but I would have told the surveyor to take a hike. IMHO

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Sorry about your situation. I have never heard of a surveyor doing that. A short burst to WOT to determine over/under propped, would be acceptable. Five minutes is abuse, especially if rpm exceeded max allowable rpm. Might have cost me a sale, but I would have told the surveyor to take a hike. IMHO
I disagree. Surveyor was checking fuel supply and cooling. Found problem with cooling. Nowhere does OP say exceeded max RPM.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'd never do 5 minutes WOT. Momma did raise a fool, but it was my brother, not me. The most I do is to see if I can obtain MAX RsPM and speed. Then throttle back. If the skipper did as the surveryor said, then shame on him. One or the other should have known MAX RsPM.