Pensacola

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

Anyone see the article of the sailor who tried to ride out Sally aboard his sailboat? He said his anchors let go. Then he was pushed over the seawall and came to rest against a building.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Here is the article...

he sounds like a real dumb:ass:

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
During Ivan several boats ended up in golf course at NAS Pensacola. Had to un anchor and move before the water receded though.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Just taking a quick look around the area on a google map, it seems there are plenty of mangrove areas around Blackwater Bay and the Yellow River area, so once again, it's more about the captain's choices, than it is about the storm, IMO.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Just taking a quick look around the area on a google map, it seems there are plenty of mangrove areas around Blackwater Bay and the Yellow River area, so once again, it's more about the captain's choices, than it is about the storm, IMO.
I-10 bridge is too short to get up to Milton 32' if I remember right, but there are lot's of other places that are better than the place he picked. Hindsight and all that.

On his behalf though it was not supposed to come this far east and by the time they said it would it was too late.

I'm sure he'll pick a better spot next time. Somewhere around Panama City.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I-10 bridge is too short to get up to Milton 32' if I remember right, but there are lot's of other places that are better than the place he picked. Hindsight and all that.

On his behalf though it was not supposed to come this far east and by the time they said it would it was too late.

I'm sure he'll pick a better spot next time. Somewhere around Panama City.
If there's one thing that I've learned about tropical storms it's that they can be pretty unpredictable. When I worked with the forecasters @ the NHC, we did pretty well with hurricanes Charley, Frances, and Jeanne, but we were all about 500 miles off for Ivan. If you are going to set up for a storm, it is best to set up for the worst possible scenario, not the most hopeful one, IMO.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just taking a quick look around the area on a google map, it seems there are plenty of mangrove areas
No mangroves in the Fort McRae anchorage. Just a high sand berm on the North side from dredging the channel in the ICW between Pensacola Pass and Big Lagoon. Guess that he thought that berm was going to mitigate the wind effects.....wrong. I have anchored there
many times in much better circumstances; although we did get hit with a nasty thunderstorm there while anchored over night. In my opinion, no place to be for a hurricane; approximately 500 yards from the Gulf. Hope he has lots of insurance, cause its going to be expensive getting that sucker off the beach. Guess he didnt learn anything from Hurricane Ivan as to the power of these storms.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looking at the video and doing some guessing, that is a grand yacht, at least 50 ft. Any one know where she was built?