Pendant Choices

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Dear Fellow Sailors,

If my boat weighs 8,000 pounds, 28.5’ in length and I‘m required to have no longer than half the length of my boat as a pendant to my mooring ball; what is the minimum strength pendant I should purchase? Any recommendations on an economical level appreciated.

Your response appreciated!

Mark

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Here is what I'd be looking at:
I'm not sure you could build your own for under $200 including splices, chafe protection an 316 hardware. You would probably want to splice in a Flag pennant depending on local custom.
We used to drop the loop(s) to the bottom to minimize growth and mess on deck from them. In only 8' of water it made a difference. So the flag pennant would be spliced to near one of the loops and long enough to reach the bottom so you can grab the flag and pull the pennant up to retrieve a loop to secure to the cleat. Other means to do the same are used in different locales.
Some posters on this site are against 3 strand nylon and I won't disagree but I've always used such for mooring, anchor and dock lines without incident.
Here is Polyester/Nylon mix. I think there is only one loop with this but I'm not sure and no hardware:
I would size up one step if your mooring area is open.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Best discussion I have seen regarding a pendant on a mooring was done by Maine Sail.

It is not just your boat specifications that is inconsideration. The nature of the weather, the mooring ball and the issue of chafe are critical to safely keeping your boat on the mooring.