Penboard Size 1983 O'Day 30)

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
Does anyone have the measurements of the penboards for a 1983 O'Day 30?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
As I'm close to Philadelphia my guess it's what they used to wrap the scaffolding around the statue of William Penn when they restored it way back when. ;):clap::laugh::p:D:)

Seriously, my guess its the boards to close the companion way. Just a guess.

Found this on the forum, asked about previously. Go to the search and enter this title
Companionway replacing pen boards for easy access while cruising

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As I'm close to Philadelphia my guess it's what they used to wrap the scaffolding around the statue of William Penn when they restored it way back when. ;):clap::laugh::p:D:)

Seriously, my guess its the boards to close the companion way. Just a guess.

Found this on the forum, asked about previously. Go to the search and enter this title
Companionway replacing pen boards for easy access while cruising
I've also heard them called washboards or simply companionway boards. Learn something new everyday.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
Am I the only one here who doesn't know what a penboard is?
Folks
I apologize that my use of the term penboard/pen board has caused so much confusion. I've been using that term for 42 years and have never met someone that indicated they were not familiar with it. The item I was referring to are the plastic or wood panels that close off the main hatchway to the cabin of the boat. I've found that they are also referred to as companionway panels. I would attach a picture of my pen boards but my boat is sitting in the icecold water 40 miles away. In the meantime, I have attached a picture of the pen boards on a boat I found on the internet.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Folks
I apologize that my use of the term penboard/pen board has caused so much confusion. I've been using that term for 42 years and have never met someone that indicated they were not familiar with it. The item I was referring to are the plastic or wood panels that close off the main hatchway to the cabin of the boat. I've found that they are also referred to as companionway panels. I would attach a picture of my pen boards but my boat is sitting in the icecold water 40 miles away. In the meantime, I have attached a picture of the pen boards on a boat I found on the internet.
Thank you for the clarification. :beer:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
I looked it up. Penboards are similar to companionway boards in that they slide down vertical grooves, but technically they're used in fish holds (think the L.A. Dunton) to separate the different kinds of fish that are being iced down. Was surprised to think that an O'Day 30 would have them, but didn't want to upset any fishers.

Jan 11, 2014
@GeorgeC It looks like so far no one has the information you are looking for. However, we do appreciate the opportunity to enrich our vocabulary and engage in a little light hearted humor as we struggle through the winter waiting for the sailing season to begin. :beer:

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
@dlochner I PM'd George as we have the same model boat and offered to measure mine. (He was very helpful a few years back when I was working on my drop centerboard.) In the meantime he tried a few ideas, but for various reasons reverted back. We also discussed some of the common issues regarding leeks.