Pelican Hook/ Gate Hooks for 83 oday 28

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
One of my stainless Steel Gate hooks was very loose and plopped in the water,,,,can anybody confirm the size of the white lifelines on the 28?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You should be able to unscrew the remaining end to the gate and take the piece to your local chandlery. I got a great sale price from the WM to replace my lines. They can take your piece and help select the correct pelican hook for the size and thread type that fits.

IAMCCF

Jun 29, 2015
ODay 28 Quincy Yacht Club
Contact Rudy at D&R Marine.
He supplied me with new upper & lower coated lifelines as well as new hardware , Pelican hooks (two sizes) and swedges. I sent him my old lines. He even made a gate for my ladder access.

Chris

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
OK, as an update I learned that these hooks are what is called Right hand and Left hand, meaning the threads are reverse for the left hand thread version, So I ordered the right one, a left hand thread, and I go to install and it does not thread on...I am fairly sure the lifeline is 5/16 and that is the one I ordered,....so now I am thinking I didn't order the one with the correct threading???, I took some pics but it count 24 threads in one inch, any advice? I bought the one shown in the pic...

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Difficult to tell. I had a similar problem. Solved it by replacing all the old lines and fittings. They were from 1974 so felt they had given full service.

Perhaps taking the line and bolt to thread to the part. May be millimeter not SAE. Could also replace that line and fittings.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
looking at your first pic ...that is a left hand thread.......you can tell by holding the end up and if the left side is the high point of the thread then it is left hand...if the right side thread is the high side it it right hand....

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Trying to understand the left/right thread requirement...why would it matter. Will it screw on "the other way"? Or is it just the wrong size or wrong thread?

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My hooks look a bit different (Oday 322). I dropped one of mine in the drink too, but cannot recall who I ordered the replacement part from. Looked back through my receipts, but cannot find one for this part.

IMG_0862.JPG

Greg