Peggy- What do you know about Un-chloric?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I just saw this product within the last month or two and I am wondering if it really works to dissolve the "cement" in hoses or if it is some new kind of snake oil?

Also the directions tell you to close off the output of the hose to be cleaned, and I am wondering exactly how that could be possible without disconnection of the hose at the tank. That task alone could be a show-stopper.

Also, what is the current opinion on the use of vinegar on a regular basis? I seem to remember that use of vinegar was highly over-rated. I did use vinegar at one time but now I no longer use it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Marine Sanitation is Dometic/SeaLand distributor in the Seattle are...Un-Chloric is their version of a product called Sew-Clean made by Trac Ecological Marine Products, which Raritan sells as their product "C.H. Cleans Hoses." I don't know how well Un-Chloric works, but Sew-Clean/C.H. definitely DOES.

As for vinegar... It's only "highly over rated" by people who try to use it to DISSOLVE buildup. It can, but only if it's changed every couple of hours--which I don't think anyone who's ever tried to use it to dissolve buildup has ever done...but even if you do, it takes forever...making it waaay more trouble than it's worth.

However, a cupful of distilled white vinegar flushed all the way through the system once a week does do an excellent job of PREVENTING mineral buildup. Never leave vinegar sitting the bowl and it should be followed after 45-60 minutes by a quart of clean FRESH water to rinse behind it.

So pick up a gallon of Sew-Clean (priced a lot lower than Raritan's price for it as "C.H") to clean out your hoses...and then use distilled white vinegar to keep 'em clean.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Thanks, Peggie. I will look at Sew-Clean. The problem is trying to clean out existing hoses with the "cement".

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If the illustration on the Sew Clean website Sew Clean ® | TRAC Ecological can be believed, it should work. Although, if you're completely blocked, you may have to use more than one application. Follow the directions...however, I'm not sure what pump they want you to disconnect. I need to call and ask 'em.

Mineral buildup can also occur in the intake line, pump and the channel in the rim of the bowl, plugging the holes in it I also want to find out how they recommend using it to deal with that end of the system. So stand by for additional incoming.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Just had a great conversation with Patrick at Trac Ecological (Sew Clean). He confirms that Sew Clean DOES work, but unlike muriatic acid, not immediately...it can take up to 16 hours if the hoses are really packed, and may require a second application. So the best time to use it is when it can stay in the hoses at least overnight. You CAN put it into the system last thing before you leave at the end of a weekend...unlike muriatic acid, it won't hurt a thing.
Because buildup can also occur in the intake side of the system I asked him how to deal with that. After you've poured a quart down the toilet to remain in the toilet discharge hose, disconnect the intake line from the thru-hull (close the seacock first!), stick it into container that holds a cup or two of Sew Clean and flush the toilet until it just starts to run into the bowl...you want it to stay in the intake line and pump. Don't touch the toilet again for at least 8- 12 hours.

And btw, this stuff also cleans out exhaust hoses and HVAC sea water pump hoses. It's completely "green," so it can go into the water.