Peggy Hall - Vinegar sitting in toilet after pumping dry

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
@Peggie Hall HeadMistress,
I finished reading your book and am confused about whether I should use vinegar or not. When I put a cup in at the end of our trip, as recommended, there remains about 1/2 cup in the bowl after I’ve pumped it thoroughly dry. I’m worried this will damage the gaskets and seals, as you’ve cautioned against leaving vinegar sitting in the plumbing. Should I just skip vinegar entirely and use enzymatic cleaner instead?
I have a Raritan PHII

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You don't want to leave vinegar sitting in the BOWL 'cuz when soft rubber (your joker valve) is left to sit and and soak in vinegar it'll cause it to swell and distort...so you shouldn't be just flushing distilled white vinegar and calling it done. After about 45 minutes--no longer than an hour--you need to follow it with about a quart of clean fresh water (use a bucket or a few beer cups from the sink), which doesn't leave the vinegar in the bowl long enough to do any damage.
(You must have missed that part of the instructions in my book).

--Peggie

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
Much thanks, I will follow that procedure when wrapping up.
On a side note, I noticed the pump had lately gotten a bit rough on the downstroke, even though I had rebuilt it, replaced the valves and gasket and lubricated all the seals. It seemed something just wouldn’t quite pass the joker valve. I put some digester in the bowl and pumped a couple times to get some digester into the piston and to the joker valve. After letting it sit for a couple hours, it seemed to clear the issue. Would you recommend leaving digester in the bowl and piston/joker area to clear up the surfaces? Or could this also damage the rubber seals and gaskets as vinegar does?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Nope...The pump needs real LUBRICATION. There are two ways to do that:
1.The never ending job of flushing about a tablespoon of veggie oil down the toilet every 3-4 weeks..cuz anything thin enough to be flushed will wash out in a few flushes.
2. About once a year (spring recommissioning is the best time) replace the thick grease was in the pump when it left the factory. It's very easy to do: Buy a tube of SuperLube thick Teflon or grease (Superlube has a full line of lubricants, you ONLY WANT their thick grease in a tube)...available from Ace Hardware for about $6. One tube should last for years and is also good for lubing winches, seacocks, y-valves etc. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the pump onto the base Do NOT remove any hoses! Lift the pump of the base just enough be able to stick the tube nozzle up into it and give it a healthy squirt--about a tablespoon. Replace the pump onto the base...pump the toilet a few times to spread the grease all over the inside of the pump cylinder...you're done till next spring.

Btw, if it's been at least a year since you replaced the joker valve, replace it. Read "joker valve 101" in my book to learn what the joker valve's REAL function is (you'd be wrong if you guess
blocking backflow) and why it's important to replace it at least annually.

--Peggie

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Remove the 4 bolts that hold the pump onto the base Do NOT remove any hoses! Lift the pump of the base just enough be able to stick the tube nozzle up into it and give it a healthy squirt--about a tablespoon.
I've been lubing the pump when I replace the joker valve each spring. Once the hose is disconnected the pump handle is raised Super Lube is squirted in, then the pump handle is lowered and another squirt of Super Lube is injected. If I'm understanding the pump correctly this should put grease on both sides of the piston which would allow for better distribution of the greased. Am I missing something?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What you're missing is: The piston rod doesn't rub against anything, so greasing it doesn't accomplish much if anything. It's the seals, o-rings etc that are ON the piston rod that rub against the inside of the cylinder wall that need lubrication to protect them against wear. The method I described here is how I was taught to lube a PHII by Raritan during a visit to their plant.

The top can be removed from most other manual toilet pumps, making it unnecessary to remove the pump from the base. You only have remove the top to stick the tube nozzle into the pump to squirt about a tablespoon of grease into it. Replace the top, pump a few times to spread the grease all over the cylinder walls.

--Peggie

Last edited: