Pee-yew, she stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
The Boat I mean! Has anyone come up with a solution to the poor holding tank vent system on the cat 30's? The tiny hole on the stantion just doesn't cut it. We put up with it last year, our first with the boat, but the honeymoon's over and we're tired of getting gassed while in the cockpit.

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
Use the proper holding tank chemical Use Odorlos works great even if I leave my 1982 30 for two or three wrrks

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
Look at the Catalina 34 Association forum about rerouting the vent lines. Lots of good information there.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Another solution could be a vent filter.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2011/04/holding-tank-vent-filter.html

Either ~ $100 or home-built for a fraction, if well installed they last 3-5 years between refills. Mine is 2 1/2 years and going strong.

Yes, I agree better vents and chemicals are very good answers--I've tested each of these for published articles. Filters are just one more tool, if other approaches are insufficient or if someone is very sensitive; odor elimination is total.

Dec 2, 2010
Catalina 30mk cataumet Mass
new vent line

I had an issue with pressure in the holding tank. It exploded when I removed the cap to pump it out. Not a good thing.I had to install a new vent hose. Since it is impossible to get to the line where it is attached to the stanchion, I drilled a hole through the hull just under the gunwale and put in a vent fitting and that solved the problem. Also, I had a smell from the salt water used to flush the toilet. I replaced all the plumbing lines with the ones that do not absorb the salt water thus eliminating the odor.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
Thanks all for the replies. I now have some good ideas of how to address the problem. I was thinking of rerouting the vent tube from the stantion to a vent out the side just below the rub rail but wanted to know if that has been successfully done before, thanks bobcat for that info. I do add chemicals to the tank after each pump-out but part of my problem is that I'm on a mooring a couple of hours down wind sail to the nearest marina so sometimes there's a three week period between pump-outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.