Pedestal wiring

Apr 16, 2017
Hunter 37.5 East Hampton, NY
My chart plotter is mounted on a pod on the pedestal rail on my Hunter 37.5. Ever time I shift into gear it shorts out whether engine is running or not (breaker trips). Has anyone experienced this problem. Has anyone pulled wires through the pedestal rail and pedestal. Jerry

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Different boat, but the problem with bringing new wiring up to that pod is similar to any boat.
One our boat we have the AP drive wire led up thru one leg of the guard and the plotter/radar wiring thru the other side. Both required drilling and chamfering an exit hole near the devices and then feeding the wiring up from underneath the cockpit thru the mounting SS socket feet.

Tedious work; moderate swearing involved.
Getting at the underside is difficult on many boats (relatively easy on ours) and first getting a small 'fish' wire thru, and then using that to pull the device wiring thru..... takes some time and it sometimes helps to use some electrician's 'blue lube' on the wired to ease the passage (called "smurf juice" in the trade).

If a PO has led wiring up thru the central part where it gets abraded by the cable/chains, get it out of there. The OEM had enough problems just keeping the small-diameter twisted compass light wiring from getting in the way! :(

Good luck and post up some pix to help others better visualize the problems.

Apropos of whatever, if we all converted our boats back to tiller steering and tossed out those "boat show marketing oriented" steering wheels all this would be a LOT simpler...... :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
To be clear, you have a pedestal guard? And the plotter is mounted to it? The shifter is mounted on the pedestal itself? The wiring( power) for the plotter runs up thru the deck, through the deck pads and up the guard? If correct, there is most likely a bare spot on your power feed. Since the guard is directly attached to the pedestal at the compass yoke then a ground plane exists to the guard. A prime location to look at is the point on the guard where the power feed exits. Usually very sharp edges. If the hole is large enough you can use some automotive split loom wire guard. Simply feed it over and around the wire and advance it in and down..

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
My chart plotter is mounted on a pod on the pedestal rail on my Hunter 37.5. Ever time I shift into gear it shorts out whether engine is running or not (breaker trips). Has anyone experienced this problem. Has anyone pulled wires through the pedestal rail and pedestal. Jerry
Jr yes I have run wires up the guard a number of times. But I run them up the opposite side from were the engine control is. Still a tight fit!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Jrtauber The guys have given you a great lead in. Such "shorting" is likely a wire has been abraded and the plastic wire cover is broken. Look at the places it enters (likely a sharp edge that abrades wire), or exits the guard. Some folk just drill a hole and then stuff the wire through. Forgetting to clean up and smooth the hole to prevent the wire from shorting out in the future. That is where I would start the search for a bare wire.

Apr 16, 2017
Hunter 37.5 East Hampton, NY
Thanks all. Excellent advice. I will start with inspecting entrance and exit holes on pedestal to guard. Will have to loosen guard to inspect. Jerry