Pedestal Wheel Lock on 1999 H280?

Jul 4, 2022
Hunter H280 Lake Pepin, MN
My old H25 had a center hub wheel lock which I really liked. Just got a new (used) H280 and there’s no wheel lock. Anyone know how to go about installing/retrofitting one? It’s the only thing bugging me about this new boat.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’d start by identifying the helm gear manufacturer. Look at the options for your specific model and see if they have wheel or gear break depending on your make and model.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I owned a 1996 H280 a while back….I don’t really remember a wheel lock. I had an Auto Pilot, so would usually use that.

Greg

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
My 280 came with a custom made wheel lock. Simple design and very effective.

See picture below

1695565480194.png

Jul 4, 2022
Nice design! Sure looks cheaper and easier than buying and installing a new Edson pedestal shaft. Do you like the way it works?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
wheel lock which I really liked... ..It’s the only thing bugging me about this new boat. .
Why? This is a serious question. I've owned my boat for 25 years and have used the wheel lock once while the boat was moving. I found it much more useful to balance sails. I also have an ST3000 ancient belt drive AP. Please help me understand the use of a wheel lock.

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
Simple design and works great.

Before I had autopilot, I used the wheel lock when raising sails, leaving the wheel to adjust sails. And always when at anchor or mooring to keep the rudder straight. Clearly, looking at the picture from "Occasional Heeler" he does not have an autopilot.

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
As an alternative, I would strongly consider an autopilot, if at all possible. I just sold my H280 and for awhile my autopilot wasn’t working (bad fuse) and I was forced to use only its wheel lock function to raise the main sail when sailing solo. The lock alone was mostly ineffective...frustraing. The boat of course would keep moving out of the wind, I'd then have to release the lock to readjust, etc. Almost easier with the lock off.

Jul 4, 2022
Nope -- no autopilot on this one and thanks for info. Agree with the boat going off-course while solo and not at the helm.

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
Looks like you sail in a lake--a wheel lock might work better there than it did for me in Puget Sound, where there are many currents and the winds can change direction in a heartbeat.

Jul 4, 2022
Correct on lake sailing. The wheel lock made going out solo much more manageable. Could even lock in a tack for a while under certain favorable conditions..