Pedestal steering range of motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2009
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
Alright went to work on new to me 70 Catalina 30 trfk. I turned the wheel lock to lock. It only rotates 3/4 of a revolution each way. The rudder only turns 45 degrees each way. I went below and it appears that the limiting factor is the intake and exhaust tubes. Is this normal ?

Thx

Jan 6, 2010
Phil,
Could use a little more info & maybe some pics detailing your problem.
Remember you are coming in behind who knows who.

There are alot of back yard machanics that make more work for you pal...
CR

Apr 3, 2009
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
I don't know if I have a problem or if this is normal for wheel steering. I'm used to a tiller and push it to about 90 degrees when tacking.

Thx

Jan 6, 2010
Phil,

When turned hard over, do you in fact see interference with your exhaust? There shouldn't be an intake hose in that area unless it's been modified. Still without photos I'm not getting a clear picture.

My full tiller travel is about 60+/- degrees each direction. the total travel is subject to the design, You Don't want a 180 deg. total turn as you would be putting on the brakes so to speak. This would put alot of stress on your rudder and tube.

However there shouldn't be interference with any exhaust, but are you talking about the hose section to your stern discharge?

CR

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Hey Phil;

Capt' Ron is right, you don't want the rudder to go too hard over. It certainly is a lot different than a tiller, especially if you went from a smaller boat to a 30'.

I enclosed a few pictures of the steering locker in various states of disrepair... if they help to point out what might be wrong.

Good luck
Chris

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I would add that beyond about 45 degrees to centerline the rudder loses all lift and simply stalls. That is, it turns into pure drag and no steering.

With pedestal steering there should be stops installed to limit the travel in each direction. This is to prevent damage to the steering mechanism particularly when backing.

Status
Not open for further replies.