Pedestal Steering 28' Lancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2009
Lancer sailboat Salem Oregon
Would like to change over to pedestall steering on my 1978 28' Lancer anyone has done this before, and any insight as to were to position pedestal and running cables and such.

Apr 23, 2009
2 28 Lake City
I am also putting in a pedestal. I have the pedestal, wheel, the cable brackets, and something that looks like they redirect the cables from a vertical track to horizontal beneath the deck under where the pedestal will be mounted. The big thing needed before I mount the rest of the hardware is a stuffing box for the ruddershaft. If you find any information about this I would appreciate it if you could pass it on. I found some general info on the Edson web site that may help you out.

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
Why do you want to clutter up your cockpit with a wheel and pedestal?? What is the advantage of wheel steering?

Jan 22, 2008
Lancer 28' Shoal Keel Sloop Kettle Falls, WA
I have a 1977 Lancer 28 shoal keel sloop, w/a pedestal steering wheel. I have previously owned and sailed boats w/tiller steering. The one advantage I like about my ped-steer is being able to sit directly behind the wheel, without turning my head for hours at a time. For me, it means much less neck strain. Obviously this is just personal preference, but what isn't?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I agree with Dale. I have a bad disc and sitting with my upper torso rotated in relation to my lower torso was quite painful after more than three hours. I haven't had the problem since getting a boat with a wheel.

It is pretty darn expensive to convert a boat and unless you get the parts cheap / used and do it yourself it is often cheaper to just buy another boat. I priced it all out and it was easily $3000 using new parts, as I recall.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I thought I had some data sheets on the Lancer pedestal steering, but sorry, I don't. My 27PS has pedestal steering. I too agree with Dale, but not for the same reason. I find it easier for visitors to take the wheel and not the tiller. I think they (visitors) enjoy sailing more if they can relate it to driving. I know, false impression, but hey...

Good luck with the install. If you need any photos of how my 27PS is hooked up, let me know. You can also download the 27PS owners manual from my site. There might be some data in there.

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Everyone has good reason for tiller vs pedestal steering. I myself prefer the much simpler tiller that way I can convert the cockpit into a large state room. Unfortunately, I don't have photos of the conversion, which I'll add to my to do list.(;-) Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.