Pedestal Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Foster

I've got a 1980 Hunter 30. I'm interested in putting in a cockpit table this summer. I need to install a pedestal guard. I looked at the wheel to see what kind it is. I was only able to find a 'Y' and 'S' on the wheel nut. I've looked at Edson guards. Should I look at one for this wheel unit? If so what kind? I've had the compass out and saw three screws that seem to hold the compass housing on. Do these come off to attach the pedestal guard? Any help would be appreciated.

J

Jim McCue

YS=Yacht Specialties

I have same pedestal guard, by Merriman. I don't know if you can buy these any more. I have the cockpit table that mounts with a "staple" shaped bracket onto the ped guard. the table is kinda small and fiddles would have been nice. There are others that "butterfly" out with fold-out leaves for an added 4 inches or so on each side. I think I bought mine from C&C Marine (or C&S or something like that ) in Collingswood NJ but that was years ago. Could try there.

T

Thom Hoffman

Right On

Added a guard to my '81H30 a few years ago. My wheel (and pedestal?)is Edson; had to match the guard to the pedestal so the bracket and screw holes would line up. The three screws you've noted in the bottom of the collar need to come out so the support bracket for the guard can be sandwiched in between the top of the pedestal and the bottom of the collar (upon which the compass is secured). A word of caution--take extra measures to prevent losing small parts down inside the pedestal; they're a beast to get back out. This is also a good opportunity to check/adjust linkages and other fittings that may be exposed at the top of the pedestal. Good luck on the project and hope to see you on PenBay this season.

R

Roland

Brian, My h30's pedestal is also a Y/S, Yacht Specialties. It is exactly the same dimensions as an Edson. Found a used Edson pedestal guard in a marine salvage yard, (bracket, guard and shoes), for about $50. Fits perfectly. -Roland S/V Fraulein II

J

Jack Laird

I have a table

I have a Pedestal Mount Folding Teak Cockpit Table for sale. $80 including shipping. This is West item 314997 in their catlaog. My email is jlaird237@aol.com. Table is in good shape it has always been covered and has all the parts. Note that it can be mounted either direction. It is a present vertical. Tough/strong item, worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.