Pedestal Guard & NavPod on '85 H31

Jan 28, 2021
NA NA Cheseapeake Bay
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and about 3.5 weeks into owning a 1985 H31. She's a beautiful, clean, well-kept boat...with a lot of original parts. I would like to add an angle guard and systems pod to my OEM Merriman pedestal wheel. Will the guards from NavPod work or is there something that has to be custom fabricated for these? I have Gooogled and searched forums and haven't been able to come up with a reasonable plan / solution.

TIA
Kellye

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new H31!!

My first sailboat was a H31 and I added a pedestal guard to install a navigation display and wind meter. Interestingly, the same question came up on this thread: Merriman Wheel | Sailboat Owners Forums . A photo of your pedestal would help the forum know how to attach an angle guard.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 31 Duncan Bay
On my 86 I have a Yacht Specialties pedestal. I changed the feet on the guard and drilled for wires. It is a bit tight since I have both NMEA and Seatalk instruments. Navpod was mounted with drilled holes in the existing guard. I have since cut the old platform where the gauges fit and put in Stainless cup holders.

Attachments

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Hi Kelley: I upgraded my’83 to an angled guard with Navpod. I put a lot of electronics in there and fortunately realized during the planning stage that I needed the 1-1/4” guard. It was still a tight squeeze. I had to modify the base mounts a bit to fit on the Hunter fiberglass platform. I’ll try to get some better pics later.

Attachments

Jan 28, 2021
NA NA Cheseapeake Bay
On my 86 I have a Yacht Specialties pedestal. I changed the feet on the guard and drilled for wires. It is a bit tight since I have both NMEA and Seatalk instruments. Navpod was mounted with drilled holes in the existing guard. I have since cut the old platform where the gauges fit and put in Stainless cup holders.
You got a NavPod guard and changed the feet to fit around your pedestal? That's clever.

Jan 28, 2021
NA NA Cheseapeake Bay
Thanks all for the great suggestions.
Not sure about the foot for the 1” guards but the 1-1/4” foot extended past the fiberglass base so this was my solution. Could also just cut off one side and make it work but I thought rotated 45 degrees looked better.
Did you fabricate that yourself or find a part somewhere? I'm reasonably handy, but metalwords is not in my repertoire. :oops:

Jan 28, 2021
NA NA Cheseapeake Bay
Thanks to you all for the great suggestions. It looks like I have some additional homework to do.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Did you fabricate that yourself or find a part somewhere? I'm reasonably handy, but metalwords is not in my repertoire. :oops:
The Navpod guard foot needed to be cut. I did it with a cutting disk on a dremmel tool, wasn’t too difficult. You will find boats tend to increase your repertoire if you're willing to try things.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021
NA NA Cheseapeake Bay
The Navpod guard foot needed to be cut. I did it with a cutting disk on a dremmel tool, wasn’t too difficult. You will find boats tend to increase your repertoire if you're willing to try things.
Okay, this might be the viable solution. Thank you!

I'm more than happy and willing to learn and try new things. In the last few weeks I've learned that I need to take a step back (and a deep breath) and take my time to figure out how to approach a new project.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have the Navpod guard and instrument enclosures on a Merriman pedestal. In addition to the new guard feet I had to replace the pedestal top plate to make this work. If my memory serves, I bought a Lewmar top plate from Navpod with the wider spacing and larger tube diameters for the guard. That Lewmar top plate (plastic) needed only minor adjustments to adapt to the Merriman pedestal. I think I only had to drill a few new mounting holes. When you choose your guard get large diameter tubing for your wiring and wide spacing to clear your pedestal base.