Pearson-O'Day 290 line drawings

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
I should probably ask for the winning MegaMillions ticket but does anybody have or know where I might be able to get hold of a copy of the line drawings for this boat? I am currently reverse engineering the hull but it's a PITN and less accurate than if I had drawings to go by.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
Did you try Rudy at D&R marine. Jr is pretty much the expert on anything ODAY. Call him he doesn't respond to email

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Have you tried or looked into a 3D laser scanning service? If a line drawing is unavailable, might be your best option. And probably would get you even more detail than a line drawing, in a format that could work with any number of software packages, depending on what you want to do with the line drawing.

Nov 9, 2008
Have you tried or looked into a 3D laser scanning service? If a line drawing is unavailable, might be your best option. And probably would get you even more detail than a line drawing, in a format that could work with any number of software packages, depending on what you want to do with the line drawing.
I've glanced at renting scanner for the day. I think it would be cost-prohibitive. If I could get a PDF of the line drawing, I could import into AutoCAD, pull it apart and loft the sections fairly easily. The 3d scan would be even easier. I've used LIDAR scans of roofing structure before and it went pretty well.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Ok. Would love to see it when you're done. And if you figure out how to 3-d print a 290, I want one. :waycool:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I've glanced at renting scanner for the day. I think it would be cost-prohibitive. If I could get a PDF of the line drawing, I could import into AutoCAD, pull it apart and loft the sections fairly easily. The 3d scan would be even easier. I've used LIDAR scans of roofing structure before and it went pretty well.
The trick is you need the scantlings. With a normal plan and elevation drawing, you can't extract anything. Some boats you can get these for, some you can't. And most of the ones that you cannot they are because they are lost forever.
26morrisfrances26sailplanlines_20120418_1744427255.jpg

Nov 9, 2008
Scantlings . . . yeah, that's what I meant to say!! In my ignorance, I called them line drawings. Yes, If I could get a hold of some of those it would be great!

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
When I inquired of the C. Raymond Hunt and Associates offices a few years ago regarding our 34, I was told that all of those resources are now in the hands of Mystic Seaport Museum. I made many inquiries to the museum over a period of a year or more and got no response. I assume they have limited resources, but it is frustrating to know that they hold this information (and acquired it presumably for the purpose that it would not be lost to those who had interest in it), but don't make it accessible.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Technically, "PEARSON YACHTS" did not build a model called the "290", they made 3 different 28' models, a few 30' models, I think they actually did make at least one 29' model in hte1960's, but you are correct, they never made a model called the 290. HOWEVER, we are referring to the O'DAY 290, introduced by "O'DAY" after production was moved to the PEARSON YACHTS Factory in Portsmouth, RI after PY purchased several of the O'DAY molds and building rights at auction after O'DAY went Bankrupt in 1989. The O'DAY 290 was introduced in the Fall of 1990 as a new 1991 model, not many were built before PEARSON YACHTS also went bankrupt in early 1991. D&R Marine now has the molds for the 290 as far as I know, but none have been ordered or built. The 290 was actually a re-tooled CAL 28-2 (1985 C.Raymond Hunt Associates Design, referred to as the 28-2 to differenciate her from the earlier Bill Lapworth-Designed CAL 28 of the 1960's) with a modified transom to add a small boarding/swim platform. At the time that the 28-2 was introduced, all CAL models were being built at the O'DAY Factory in Fall River, MA. When PEARSON bought the O'DAY molds, the current CAL models (22, 28-2, 33, 39-4) were also part of the package.

Attachments

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Interesting info. I do know Japan has the molds or at least some of the molds and they are still building them. The 272 and the 322 specifically. They did retool a few things. You can actually buy one. The import fee is high.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The 272 and 322 were the most popular models in O'day's history actually.....I think the 302 also was very popular as these 3 models had extensive consumer focus group input, etc. in Boston Harbor. I know we have had a great time with our little 272 LE....our dealer here in Wichita sold all three models in a short bit of time..then, bam zam they closed....these three models almost brought the company out of it's money woes in the final days of Fall River....but they could not over-come the insider trading and financing; i.e. leveraged buy-outs. Pat